Sheffield united ticket prices years ago.

hutch

I remember when I joined the Royal navy in 1949, at hillsborough for old age pensioners and service men in uniform entrance was 1/6 ( 1 shilling 6 pence). My cousin and I went to Bramhall Lane, I think 1947, to see Yorkshire play Australia at cricket. They were all there, Donald Bradman (scored 48) Keith Miller, Len hutton etc. Unfortunately I can't remember how much we paid to get in. The only United footballer I can remember was Jimmy Haigh, or was it Hagan?

The year was 1946. I remember it well,I'd not long been demobbed. Lovely weather,and a great game. As for football,as a lad before the war,it was

thrupence (3d) to get in,and we would go early,before the copper took up his

station,and squeeze through the railings that dIvided the Bramall lane end from the terrace,and watched the game from the John st stand. Those were

the days when a brass band played before the game and at half time,and if there were late team changes,a bloke would walk round the perimeter holding

a placard on a stick. No names or numbers on the back of the shirts,no

substitutes,only ten minutes half time,and it was a three sided ground. Great value though.

I used to get in for nowt, a few of us kids would stand outside the shareholders entrance on John St. and one of them would take us in and we sat in the stands just like posh folk.[/quote

We used to do the same to watch Yorkshire from the pavillion,before the war.

That's when Yorkshire were the kings of cricket,and had four or five players in the England team. Saw all the pre war greats play ,wonderful.

Archived