History of the Ball Inn, Green lane

Leyther

I'm trying to compile the history of the Ball Inn, which has now reopened as The Milestone Bar & Restaurant. It is situated on the corner of Ball Street and Green Lane in the Kelham Island part of the City.

I know that it was built about 1830 and was damaged during the great flood. Later it was used as a printers and as a paint wholesalers. Other than that I know very little other than it is a grade 2 listed building.

I'm interested in knowing when it closed as a pub.

Can anyone help with more history, reminiscences and where I can go for further research.

William Armstrong- publican 84 Green Lane (Ball Inn)

Still a pub in 1925

84 Green Lane

Fred White victualler

but a printers by 1948 Coates & Wilkinson

Think a chap called Ted Baker had a hand in it when it became a paint wholesalers.

Now that I know that Coates & Wilkinson were the printers does anyone have any details about this firm and when they closed down before the property became a paint wholesalers.

Always seemed more of a office supplies, you could buy stationery articles office supplies, as I remember.

This is the claim that the innkeeper of the Ball Inn, John Stringer, put forward against the water company after the Great Sheffield Flood.

link

It includes

To loss of business at my House in Consequence of the Ball Street Bridge been washed away by the Flood and causing a great Portion of my Customers to leave my House, through not having a Road over the River as before

Samuel Harrison writes:

'The Ball Street foot bridge, adjoining Mr. Mills's tannery, was destroyed. Although it was constructed of iron, it was torn down by the force of the water, and bent about as though it were only a piece of pasteboard. A large portion of it might be seen long afterwards lying in the river in a sloping position, and not entirely disconnected from its original position at one end.'

photo

recentish photo

On another thread

My Grandfather and grandmother owned, or ran The Ball Inn, Ball St./Green Lane, Sheffield during this period, and I understand that members of gangs frequented the establishment. Since the Mooneys lived just a short distance away in the West Bar area, I suspect that they and their friends were the visitors. I am told that my Grandfather and these gang members drank away the profits and thus the downfall. I have a photograph of my Grandparents outside the Ball Inn. on which his name can be clearly seen over the doorway. I also have a photograph of their son inside the pub. There are also unsubstantiated tales of tunnels from the Ball Inn to Manor Lodge,or castle.

Tets has posted on the forum recently, so they would be a good source of information.

So the Ball Inn is also included on the tunnel network as well apparently!

The paint wholesaler was called Odale Lindsey but I couldn't find anything else about them