I'd like to learn sign language

mellow

Hi bobst,

where abouts is that taster and if you have any more info as to when it is please reply as i want my friend to go it but couldn't find out more for her. cheers

Hi if you go to the box office just inside the main door at sheffield uni they will tell you if any spaces on the thursday course if not when the next taster starts .

Glad to hear that your interested in signing - not enough people are. I learned through Sheffield College (went for three years and have my level two now), but my hubby taught himself siply by going along to the Deaf Clubs and talking to people.

I could not have managed that way but if you are not shy and have a capacity to pick up visual information its definetly the cheapest method.

I would recommend Grange Crescent club as it has an older member base and therefore is a lot less intimidating the elders there have the patience to help you.

Remember that when you go, YOU are the old one out and you have to make the effort to learn sign - don't expect the deaf people to lip read you..... you won't make friends like that.

Books and CD-roms etc are good to supplement your face to face signing time but you cannot learn to communicate properly using them alone.

Having said all that - I wish you luck. I loved learning sign, its great fun and uses parts of your brain that you never knew you had. Hubby and I made great friends in the Deaf Community and are now teaching our baby to sign so that she will be bilingual!

I think some classes at the college are free if you are not earning - worth enquiring.

If you need any other pointers then drop me a PM.

I have real admiration for you and your husband to learn to sign is fantastic but to learn to sign without tuition is amazing. We teach hearing children from 4-11 to sign our aim is to make signing part of the curriculum . The kids response is unreal their development in numeracy and literacy through sign is unbelievable. And they have great fun while they learn !!! not to forget that their social skills and awareness comes on in leaps and bounds. Plus the parents thirst for sign is sparked we have over 30 parents now on level one and over 50 parents and family members have been on taster courses since September 06.

i was amazed last year when my 5yr old son(who was then only 4), came home from nursery showing us different signs and telling the whole family what they were. when i asked the teacher at nursery about this, she said joshua was very good at it and showed us exactly what the kids had been learning as part of their communication topic.

I think it was a fantastic opportunity for my son to learn this at such a young age, and he had great fun teaching it to the rest of us.

Sign is briiliant!!

my nephew learns it at nursury and iv taught him a few things too!

I really think it should be part of the curriculum why learn french when we have people living next door to us and we cant speak to them! Deaf people feel so isolated and dependent on others e.g to go to the post office or buy some thing they may need to take some one hearing. I work at a cab for the deaf and it would be so nice for them just to be able to do what we do and be independant as much as possible. There is such a demmand for interpreters and not enough people to fill the need! If it was taught at school every one would be able to converse with the deaf in at least a little bit if not more if interested in the subject. Iv been learning sign for four years and find it a long expensive and fustrating to get or be on courses but i love the subject, it would be nice for full time courses and better teaching some times.

Its so hard to be an interpreter and think it should be encouraged not be made so hard. I encourage all reading this to learn sign it may be hard but well worth it belive me !!

Good luck to u all

Sign is briiliant!!

my nephew learns it at nursury and iv taught him a few things too!

I really think it should be part of the curriculum why learn french when we have people living next door to us and we cant speak to them! Deaf people feel so isolated and dependent on others e.g to go to the post office or buy some thing they may need to take some one hearing. I work at a cab for the deaf and it would be so nice for them just to be able to do what we do and be independant as much as possible. There is such a demmand for interpreters and not enough people to fill the need! If it was taught at school every one would be able to converse with the deaf in at least a little bit if not more if interested in the subject. Iv been learning sign for four years and find it a long expensive and fustrating to get or be on courses but i love the subject, it would be nice for full time courses and better teaching some times.

Its so hard to be an interpreter and think it should be encouraged not be made so hard. I encourage all reading this to learn sign it may be hard but well worth it belive me !!

Good luck to u all

Wow i'm so glad that you posted this i am involved with a project to get signing part of the curriculum . At the moment we teach kids in Y1 2 3 & 4.

And we have managed to get funding for up to 50 learners to take a taster course plus level one & level two CACDP.L1 & L2 have been fully funded .Last month we gave a deaf awareness course which for some part was observed by Clive Betts MP. We would like to obtain funding to move this forward the first aim to advance awareness of sign and its ability to vastly enrich the learning of hearing children . I am in agreement that the expense of learning to sign is ridiculus why ? Modern foreign languages have monies thrown at them from the EU & Central Government ,Why Not BSL !

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

i thoght it had moved as i work at dass(deaf advice service in sheffield) and they where the ones who told me that so i apologise if that was wrong!

I think if you want to see what its like for deaf people its great and if you want to get into the swing of communicating with the deaf but i dont didn't find it useful enough. trie it out and see for your self people have diffrent experiances. Good luck all

Archived