Looking for a list of cinemas in 50s sheffield

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Thanks, I had completely forgotten the name "Kinema". Also for the name of the Phoenix. I had this nagging suspicion that there was another cinema on Langsett Road but its all a long time ago.

If you remember the Hippodrome on Cambridge St, you might remember that it had once been a theatre. It also had a large sliding hatch in the roof, worked by a winch, which they opened in the intermission on hot summer nights to let the heat out and hopefully some cool air in.

This was something of mixed blessing. As it was used very infrequently it quite often had several weeks or months worth of dust and muck on top.

Hippodrome regulars were aware of the hatch and never sat directly underneath it. The poor souls that did usually got cover in the droppings.

Regards

My late grandfather once told me that when it was a theatre he saw the Fred Karno Company there, the star of the show was a young English lad called Charlie Chaplin.

Anyone remember the very last film shown there before the Hippodrome closed?

No, but I'm sure I recall seeing Christmas pantomimes at the Hippodrome. That would have to have been in the late 40s to early 50s. When did it start showing films? That was a wonderful old building, an old music hall. There was a bar called Nell's Bar right by the theatre that used to cater to performers and patrons. My aunt worked there for a time.

Wow - all this nostalgia.

I remember my dad used to be the commissionaire at the News Theatre in the 50's. He wore a maroon uniform and part of his duties was to make sure the couples "behaved themselves" on the back row. My brother and me got a free Friday night pass - we were treated like lords! He worked there from 6.00 until it closed each night and then got up to do the 6 til 6 shift at the steel works. What a guy!!!

Hi,

The Essoldo at Southey (Herries Road)was the Forum. Don't forget the Ritz at Parsons Cross. The cinema in Woodseats - next to the Big Tree P.H. ( the building eventually became Gleason's offices) was The Chantrey. There was also the Woodseats Pictures - opposite Tesco.

In town - in addition to the Odeon, Palace Union Street, Wicker and the Electra/News Theatre/Classic already mentioned - there was the The Cinema House and Regent/Gaumont in Barker's Pool, the Hippodrome on Cambridge Street and the ABC on Angel Street. Don't forget the Central on the Moor. There was also the Albert Hall (where John Lewis is now) but this burned down before I was born.

Don't forget the Rex at Intake; the Manor at Manor top; the Carlton on the Arbourthorne, the Plaza at Handsworth; the Balfour, Lyric and Darnall Cinemas in Darnall. The Regal at Staniforth Road. I'll let sombody else tell you about the cinemas in Attercliffe - the Adephli and the Pavillion I remember but there was another one next to where the B & C Funeral Directors used to be

(before they moved to Suffolk Road). Don't forget the one in Tinsley.

In the Park, there was the Park Picture Palace on South Street and the Norfolk on Duke Street.

In the Firth Park/ Pitsmoor area there was the Coliseum on Spital Hill, the Sunbeam at Page Hall, The Roxy at Page Hall, the Victory on Upwell Street, the Paragon at Firth Park and the Capitol (Essoldo) at Lane Top.

There was the Don on West Bar, the Roscoe at the Infirmary Road/Penistone Road Junction, the Unity on Langsett Road, A cinema in Hillsborough itself (up a side street - somebody will remind me of the name) and the Hillsborough Park Cinema.

There was the "Ranch House" on St. Philips Road and the Scala at Western Bank. There was a cinema in Crookes(somebody will remember the name) and the Walkley Palladium.

On Eccelsall Road, there was the Star, near the bottom and the Greystones near to Banner Cross.

O, yes! There was one at Heeley Green

That's all I can remember.

Regards

Cinemas in Attercliffe; The Globe? A few others. The Balfour on Staniforth Road; The Capitol, Sheffield Lane Top; the Tivoli and the New Tivoli on Union Street, which only the really old will remember. The Tivoli was still showing films during the war. It was, I think, the only city cinema to offer a childrens’ matinee. We youngsters were kept in order by a man with the longest cane I’ve ever seen.

No, but I'm sure I recall seeing Christmas pantomimes at the Hippodrome. That would have to have been in the late 40s to early 50s. When did it start showing films? That was a wonderful old building, an old music hall. There was a bar called Nell's Bar right by the theatre that used to cater to performers and patrons. My aunt worked there for a time.

According to Richard Ward's book 'In memory of Sheffield's cinemas', The Hippodrome became a permanent cinema on 20 July 1931 - showing Claudette Colbert in 'Manslaughter', and Jackie Oakey in 'Social Lion'. The very last show was on 2 March 1963, and was 'Gone with the wind' starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

According to Richard Ward's book 'In memory of Sheffield's cinemas', The Hippodrome became a permanent cinema on 20 July 1931 - showing Claudette Colbert in 'Manslaughter', and Jackie Oakey in 'Social Lion'. The very last show was on 2 March 1963, and was 'Gone with the wind' starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

Did they suspend showing films during Christmas to present the pantomimes or am I getting too old and my memory is playing tricks on me? I do seem to recall pantomimes at the Lyceum, Empire (I think) and Hippodrome. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived