Gower street pubs

bladebloke

just wandering has anyone on here ever drank in the pubs down gower street. and the surrounding area i started drinking down there around 79. it was very lively back then great old fashioned pubs with loads of characters. all the pubs had football teams on a sunday morning. darts on a tuesday. and friday/ saturday nights were as busy as anywhere in sheffield. just a few pub names i'm talking about. grapes, gower, royal oak, norfolk arms, carlisle, robin hood, staffordshire, east house, tea gardens, albion and burngreave club.

i can remember the land lady of the robin hood (mary)she used to let a few of us into her back kitchen where we could have a sneaky half pint whilst under aged. the beat policemen used to be on the other side of the bar having a tipple too, thinks its now a caribean food place of some sorts..if you went up grimesthorpe road starting at the vestry hall, there were some more good pubs including the buckingham arms, tea gardens and then the normanton inn. had my 1st legal pint in the normanton,bought me by the land lord Colin Simpson, who also treat me to a whiskey or 2 before i set off to the church to get married..that was back in the mid 70's...do you remember the crown at the bottom of harleston street and the corner pin...not sure if there still there now

The Corner pin and crown are still going strong, the crown was actually Mary's last pub before retiring,used to go in quite often when she ran it.(I still work near to it)Top old lass,also served me my first draught pint in the robin hood, not far for you to stagger home old lad.

my round I think !!!!:hihi:

The Corner pin and crown are still going strong, the crown was actually Mary's last pub before retiring,used to go in quite often when she ran it.(I still work near to it)Top old lass,also served me my first draught pint in the robin hood, not far for you to stagger home old lad.

my round I think !!!!:hihi:

Does this bring back memories of the Corner Pin? (if the link will work?)

just wandering has anyone on here ever drank in the pubs down gower street. and the surrounding area i started drinking down there around 79. it was very lively back then great old fashioned pubs with loads of characters. all the pubs had football teams on a sunday morning. darts on a tuesday. and friday/ saturday nights were as busy as anywhere in sheffield. just a few pub names i'm talking about. grapes, gower, royal oak, norfolk arms, carlisle, robin hood, staffordshire, east house, tea gardens, albion and burngreave club.

I recognise a few of those (grapes, gower, staffs, royal oak), but where are/were the robin hood, carlisle, tea gardens and albion?

I drink down there - top pubs me thinks. Agree - they are old fashioned pubs with some real characters. Will be there Friday night in the Staff first, Royal Oak, Gower, Grapes and back to the Staff till I drop.

Click the link in my sig and see if you recognise anyone,

recognise most of them mate. went to the lane last night with joff and merv. and the redfearn brothers good lads for pigs.

can i claim copy rights on the liverpool photo's i took them.

Archived