Meadowhall is a disaster!!

Guest Guest

Originally posted by slimsid2000

But would any of this have happened without the impotus of competition provided by Meadowhall. I think it's great if the city centre gets its act together but why deny consumer choice by shutting down Meadowhall.

By the way what is this strange Sheffield nostalga for steel works, coal mines etc personified by films such as The Fully Monty and Brassed Off. Personally I much prefer the clean modern service industries.

It is a shame we have endure plastic hell to get to the kind of organic urban growth that other cities have enjoyed for so long, but that's Sheffield for you.

I'd never advocate that Meadowhell be shut down, choice is good for you, and I find that one trip every six months or so fills me right back to the brim with vitriol for the awful place.

Originally posted by Guest

One of the biggest blunders in Sheffield's history was the approval of Meadowhall being built. It's completely ripped the heart out of the city centre and it has done little to raise the image of our city. I would eagerly vote for it to be closed!

Meadowhall rules! Sure the City Centre may have died a bit as a result but that's partly the Council's fault for all those dang blasted one way systems etc they put in place, which as I've always said, are annoying to a point where drivers decide sod it come on we'll go down to Meadowhall, easy access, FREE plentiful parking... What more do you want?!

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Always packed full of townies, and there isn't any decent shops.

Define decent.

There's the poor end (Poundland and Argos) and the Posh end (House of Fraser and Debenhams) and quite a bit in between

Originally posted by Carmine

I'd never advocate that Meadowhell be shut down, choice is good for you, and I find that one trip every six months or so fills me right back to the brim with vitriol for the awful place.

Wait until you have some kids. Try dragging them round town as opposed to Meadowhall...especially when it rains.

Yes, Meadowhall has its faults, but it's more convenient than the city centre in many respects.

And just wait until Sheffield city council introduce their congestion t-t-t- charge

Originally posted by Abdul

Wait until you have some kids. Try dragging them round town as opposed to Meadowhall...especially when it rains.

Yes, Meadowhall has its faults, but it's more convenient than the city centre in many respects.

And just wait until Sheffield city council introduce their congestion t-t-t- charge

I can see how town would be a nightmare with kids in tow...ah for the days when the little darlings were packed off to boarding school and saw their parents but once a year, for an hour on xmas morning...the trials of such things await me somewhere down the line!

Meadowhell is the very incarnation of convenience in every possible way, the guiding principle by which such places are designed dictate that they must eliminate the niggling problems that the city-centre presents.

But I find that the place is highly stressful and as I use public transport rather than drive the simple fact is that town is closer and more conveniet for me, plus the congestion charge don't apply.

When my circumstances change significantly then I will be forced to reevaluate my stance on the subject, but until then I'll stick to the city centre and stay away from the "domes of doom"©.

The thing about Meadowhall as well, is that aside from big Department stores, ie the likes of Debenhams and Marks's, most of the shops are all on one level, which makes them considerably more wheelchair friendly than a lot of the shops in Town... Granted that doesn't make much difference to me personally, but for such as PT (Plain Talker), and other disabled shoppers, it's a godsend.

I mean they even offer courtesy wheelchairs, free of charge, Town doesn't, at least I don't think they do :loopy:

Archived