Lambert Street Flats

cheapcod

• 1 year later...

Hi Cheapcod,

I grew up (well to the age of 7) on Lambert Street Flats. Me moved out in 1977. I think that the flats were due for demolision, so everyone was moved.

unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the place, but maybe I could ask my mother. Let's see...

When did you live there? I have quite a few memories of the place: playing "kick the can" in the archway that looked onto the police station.

Those damn police used to march up and down all night. As a kid I used to wonder how they managed to stay awake (I had no concept of shift work!)

I remember when all the brown round-pin sockets and old flick-style light switches were replaced with nice, new white versions. How posh I thought they were!

At Christmas all the kids used to start snowballs at the top of the hill and by the time we'd reached the bottom the snowball was taller than us kids!

I also remember how damn cold the flats were in the winter. The damp and the draughts.

We were always in and out of the neighbours flats. Everyone seemed to know who you were - which mean that any mischief was soon reported back to my Mum & Dad!

I also remember my elder sister knocking her 2 front teeth out on the see-saw. lol

Hello Cheapcod (top name btw!) - welcome to the Forum.

There is a couple of pictures on 'Picture Sheffield.Com'. Unfortunately, I'm a computer 'Luddite' and don't know how to attach the site to this message, but it's easy enough to google.

The first picture would have been taken around 1964, as it shows West Bar Police Station being built. The second maybe a couple of years later.

I would estimate that they were demolished around 1989/90/91, by which time they were looking rather dilapidated.

at last a reply, i lived there from been 4 (1974) up to them been knocked down in i think 1981?i played all the games mentioned, and lets not forget the bonfire british bulldog on the grass down the bottom,looking from the playground i lived to the right of the tunnel i dont think there are many pictures of the flats due to nobody having a camera it wasnt that posh or at least we wasnt,my name is john and i had an older sister called julie

Hello Cheapcod (top name btw!) - welcome to the Forum.

There is a couple of pictures on 'Picture Sheffield.Com'. Unfortunately, I'm a computer 'Luddite' and don't know how to attach the site to this message, but it's easy enough to google.

The first picture would have been taken around 1964, as it shows West Bar Police Station being built. The second maybe a couple of years later.

I would estimate that they were demolished around 1989/90/91, by which time they were looking rather dilapidated.

i ahve seen the pictures but you can only just make them out, its from the inside i would like a picture, and they always looked like that, but it was a good place to live.the name is from my Surname.

The Lambert street flats housed my uncle and his family for many years. He moved to Gibraltar buildings opposite Brook Shaw/ the Shakespeare in the 1960's.

The design of Lambert street was very similar to Edward Street flats, and the "big block" that used to be on Bard Street, at Hyde Park; the tenement-y dark brick type buildings.

John,

I've asked my mum about some piccies. She's got some! She may even have some of you, Julie and Mary!

As I'm abroad and she's still in Sheffield with no PC knowledge, it may take some time...

I think Steven (remember him?) is going to scan them and email them to me.

Well My granma and Grandad used to live there, I used to visit them every week, and normally fall asleep watching the old coal fire burning away lol.

I never played down there as was only young but always rememebr the police station as my Nan and grandads flat used to look down onto the old slope that went into the police building.

My uncle John used to live there for a number of years after my Grandparents passed on, but it was in the early 70's I think. maybe late 60's

My mum got some pictures of my brothers playing in the flats when we used to go down will try and do the same and get them on here.

Cheers

• 1 month later...