The Shop on "The Cliffe".

Falls

Hi,

Its funny how sometimes, a place or business from long ago comes to mind but you can't remember the name. One such place has been nagging my memory, off and on, for a couple of weeks.

There used to be a good quality drapery shop on Attercliffe Road, on the right side after the Palace, possibly on the corner of Brinsworth St. or the next street down. Certainly before you reached Worksop Road.

There are two names that come to mind. These are: Chapman's and Wainwright's.

The Chapman name seems like long shot (we knew another family of that name) while I think Wainwright's was the name of a similar type of business on Heeley Bottom - next to the bridge over the Sheaf.

Anybody any ideas?

Hi,

Its funny how sometimes, a place or business from long ago comes to mind but you can't remember the name. One such place has been nagging my memory, off and on, for a couple of weeks.

There used to be a good quality drapery shop on Attercliffe Road, on the right side after the Palace, possibly on the corner of Brinsworth St. or the next street down. Certainly before you reached Worksop Road.

There are two names that come to mind. These are: Chapman's and Wainwright's.

The Chapman name seems like long shot (we knew another family of that name) while I think Wainwright's was the name of a similar type of business on Heeley Bottom - next to the bridge over the Sheaf.

Anybody any ideas?

are you thinking of the one on the corner of Bodmin Street on the Shirland Lane side of Attercliffe Road - sort of next to Charnleys store on Bodmin Street?

Chapmans was on the opposite side of Bodmin Street to Charnleys, I know this for sure as we lived at 33, Bodmin Street and Betty's ladies wear shop was on the opposite side of Attercliffe Road. Betty was the daughter of the Chapmans.

Chapmans was on the opposite side of Bodmin Street to Charnleys, I know this for sure as we lived at 33, Bodmin Street and Betty's ladies wear shop was on the opposite side of Attercliffe Road. Betty was the daughter of the Chapmans.

Hello again Gosling - here we go about Bodmin Street again. As best I can remember, the store that you mentioned, Chapmans, was a toy store in the early sixties. I do remember that my older brother bought a toy artillery set for my birthday from there - the ones where you stuck a match stick in the barrel and it fired by a spring. The store on the other side of Bodmin Street that I mentioned had window where the glass met on the corner of the door way. You could look down the glass and do the Harry Worth thing - by lifting your arm and leg it appeared that both of your arms and legs were lifting together. Did you ever get in to that??

• 2 years later...

Yes madango41 thats us. I don't remember the twins but will ask my sisters if they recall the names. I am June, my sisters are Betty & Anne & we also have a brother, Frank. They were happy days. Nice to hear from you.

Hello there mickr, as I left in 1952 things must have changed a bit and I believe that now Bodmin St is practially non existent,ah well the memories remain Till next time

Bodmin street is still residential, unlike many streets that are long gone in Aterrcliffe - It's just all new housing now...http://maps.google.co.uk/Take a look on google maps...

Archived