10 Reasons The Uk is Better To Live In Than Australia

I just can't believe the cost of houses, how does a young couple starting out manage to buy?

It's the same here flyer, as hillsbro pointed out, it's the booming economy that is causing the problems, we can't have it all ways unfortunately.

I don't think we ever disagreed. Regarding my original post there's a lot of desert in Australia -

The original post said Oz was mostly desert, that's where we dissagreed, up the centre of Oz is desert, as is parts of Western Oz, but the coast areas are doing fine at the moment.

Don't get me onto the water shortage episode hillsbro, that's a sore point with me, we have the same dams as we have had for years, but the population has more than doubled in that time also, the majority of water here goes out into the ocean unfortunately.

The original post said Oz was mostly desert, that's where we dissagreed, up the centre of Oz is desert, as is parts of Western Oz, but the coast areas are doing fine at the moment.

Of course you are quite right, skippy, in the way that deserts as such are defined. It's just that when I travelled by train across Australia from west to east (Indian Pacific) and south to north (The Ghan) the expanse of arid land seemed interminable, and the same impression is given when flying over Oz. This is thrown into sharp focus by a population density map - most of the country has a density of less than 0.1 persons per square kilometre, see:

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rp/1999-2000/2000RP09-01.GIF

But of course, it is where the bulk of the population live that matters to most Australians, and the populated areas are very good places to live in the main, with all the benefits of living in most other developed parts of the world (and better weather than in many!)

There are signs that house prices are - at last - levelling off. The main reason why they have risen so sharply in recent years is the booming economy. Every silver lining has a cloud.

The Canadian economy is also booming. in fact our dollar is now worth more than the U.S.A greenback(as my stingy U.K army pen is dropping sharply will attest) but a brand new 6 bed 2 bath house can be bought for $300,000 thats less than 150th pounds and in a class area ,i'm now try to sell mine & move to the east coast where breathtaking placers with 20-30 land can be had for 60-70 thousand pounds lots of room for some horses:):):):D:D

Hey Skippy stop telling them how good it is here or we might be faced by a mass migration,then we would be face with traffic like it used to be coming home from work on dayshift in the early 70s or like it was on a holiday weekend on the Princess Hwy at Albion Park rail and we dont want that do we.

Is everyone in Oz retired? What fun life must be. All play, and no work (in the sun). S'not fair. I suppose you're all contemplating which beach you should go to, and then drive there, on a road with no traffic, and then return home to drink a cold beer.

Don't you ever miss eating chips and gravy, in the street, on a cold night?