10 Reasons The Uk is Better To Live In Than Australia

Actually, I heard about lots of people who emigrated to Austrailia and came back eventually, because the country is so out of society, that there is little opportunity to see any modern rock/pop bands unless they are on the last leg of an enormous multi year world tour and completely frazzled. They are the last place in the world to get any new gadgets. Fashions are several years behind what you could find in UK, and they generally feel totally cut off.

The government and society is so interfering and nanny state that they keep trying to do things like ban Motorcycles, and they are very big on neighbourhood watch, it is like going back 50 years.

Biggest load of tripe that I have ever heard, in the 70's yes, you would have been right, but not today, a lot of people did return to the UK, but a lot also came back here, as for the bands, I know from personal experience that they get frazzled from their off stage adventures with the opposite sex rather than performing & travelling.

The bit about motorbikes is a load of Boll###s too, all my family & a few old mates have been out here on holidays & wish they had come with us in 1970 now, I see many pommies here on holidays and they love the place & don't want to go home.

I returned to Sheffield in 1990 & couldn't get back here quick enough, this was the best 10 quid I ever spent.

Lived in Melbourne for 40 years - didn't have a say -parents choice! Recently returned from a 6 week visit to UK and other parts of Europe.

Have to stay here now for family commitments but want to return to UK in the future - not only to be close to remaining family but because:

- closer to the rest of the world - it costs so much in money and time to travel to Europe. The only place you can go for a weekend is within Australia and seen one country town ... well ....!

- really worried about global warming and availability of water. Even though this is affecting/will affect the whole world - we are facing the consequences already - severe water restrictions, dams only 47% of capacity, 40 degree © plus days, major bush fires burning out of control for over a month.

Biggest worry is how far the Aussie dollar will stretch in the UK - we have fallen way behind in international purchasing power - what we have here for quality of life/cost of living/accommodation is far superior to the UK

Decisons, decisions....!

A few years ago i was in a chatroom and there was a couple of Aussys slagging england off, calling it a rainy, dank little island.

Watching their drout disasters on tv the other day, Im tempted top hunt the buggers down and have a good gloat, I bet theyd give their right arm to be somewhere dank now.

My son spent a year out there and thoroughly enjoyed it but says that he wouldn't want to move there. He now has a fancy for New Zealand as he met a lot of Kiwis whilst he was in Australia and says that they are far nicer folk than Australians.
I spent a year in Oz and met loads of nice aussies. Saying kiwi's are far nicer folk is a bit of a generalisation - i'm sure not all kiwis are lovely.

My husband is aussie and is living in Sheffield (had no choice when he married me!). We will definitely be moving over to Oz in the future - the only major thing keep us here is my family, and our careers. The strength of the UK economy means we can earn a lot more here at this stage in our careers. We'll be reaping the rewards when we convert all that to AUS$ and swap our city centre apartment for a huge house complete with swimming pool and beautiful hot weather.

I'm not saying the UK has nothing to offer because it does - I wouldn't be living her now if it didn't (i'm proud to live in UK, especially Sheffield).

As for Aus being 50 years behind - yes they may be in some respects, but that only makes for a better place. My in laws live in a beautiful country town and can sleep at night, and go out during the day without locking their doors (this is how my parents tell me it was in the 1950's in England. I wish it were still like that here now). There's no ridiculous political correctness either - everyone just seems very relaxed, and so they should be, it's a wonderful place to live.

I spent a year in Oz and met loads of nice aussies. Saying kiwi's are far nicer folk is a bit of a generalisation - i'm sure not all kiwis are lovely.

My husband is aussie and is living in Sheffield (had no choice when he married me!). We will definitely be moving over to Oz in the future - the only major thing keep us here is my family, and our careers. The strength of the UK economy means we can earn a lot more here at this stage in our careers. We'll be reaping the rewards when we convert all that to AUS$ and swap our city centre apartment for a huge house complete with swimming pool and beautiful hot weather.

I'm not saying the UK has nothing to offer because it does - I wouldn't be living her now if it didn't (i'm proud to live in UK, especially Sheffield).

As for Aus being 50 years behind - yes they may be in some respects, but that only makes for a better place. My in laws live in a beautiful country town and can sleep at night, and go out during the day without locking their doors (this is how my parents tell me it was in the 1950's in England. I wish it were still like that here now). There's no ridiculous political correctness either - everyone just seems very relaxed, and so they should be, it's a wonderful place to live.

I think your post expresses everything we ex pats go through in our efforts to adapt to a new country. In my and my late wife's case it wasn't Australia, it was Canada. Generally, back then, the wife and kids were left at home in the new country while the husband made his way through different working arrangements than he'd ever met before. Sometimes the wife would pine so much for the old place, that they would pull up stakes and head bacjk home, only to miss the country they'd settled in. It wa like being in limbo. I was more fortunate because my wife as a navy wife had learned to adapt to new places and came to love Canada

You're really faced with two options, stay in UK, or go back to Aussie, and stick to it no matter what. One of the most difficult thiongs you must face is the sheer distance away from home. I could be back in UK in less time than a train ride to Cornwall. I still can. So I understand how hard it is for you.

I loved Oz. The heat and the dust....the flies, - as big as bumble bees and they'd sink their teeth into any bit of exposed skin they could find. Not to mention the spiders; tiny little spiders that could kill you with a look - didn't need to bite you, and little snakes too that pumped enough venom to kill a cow.

And the beer ! - served so cold it would crack your teeth. Swan lager it was called, -about 1.5% alcohol by volume, a toddler would have a hard time getting tipsy on it yet the Ozzies got fighting drunk ! :hihi:

I fear GW is going to turn some parts of Australia that are now a semi-paradise into hell on earth :(