Kelham island tavern

static

Cobden View has had Farmer's Blonde from Bradfield on instead of Moonshine for over a year now! and also Deuchars, Black Sheep, Old Speckled Hen, and Hobgoblin!

Nice line up of ales there.....Hobgoblin is quite difficult to find in Sheffield, we have it at the Dove as a permanent ale, but have never seen it anywhere else on handpull except once at the Bankers Draft as a guest....lots of requests for it at the York so its coming on rotation....

do you know how to get there by public transport from town

Well you could go on the Tram, but you would have to walk 5 mins from Shalesmoor Tram Stop. Let me just have alook at the buses for you.

Bus

(4m) Leave 11:30 Sheffield, Arundel Gate/Central Library A G 11, Sheffield Centre Service Number 11 Provider First South Yorkshire Ltd

Arrive11:34 Moorfields, Bowling Green Street, Shalesmoor

Walk

(7m) Leave11:34 Moorfields, Bowling Green Street, Shalesmoor

Arrive11:41 KELHAM ISLAND,SHEFFIELD

I use both the Cobden and KIT regularly and have to agree that whilst the KIT is a great pub - it's aimed at the real ale market rather then local community, and it doesn't have a traditional pub atmosphere as far as I am concerned (and I don't mean a lack of jukebox and pool table either).

Best pub in Sheffield by miles. I have very little time for the Closed Shop, the ales are uninteresting and the atmosphere very studenty with the most basic and annoying quiz I have ever witnessed. Theres a much better atmosphere in the Cobden View, as long as the Hobgoblin is on I am happy. Hallamshire House is terrible. Dove and Rainbow was a huge disappointment when I last visited, a poor selection and what I had wasn't in the best condition. Bankers Draft has been getting much better lately and I regularly visit. Not been to the York yet, must visit soon.

Traditionally real ale in Sheffield is served with a tight creamy head - the KIT don't do that - they appear to prefer to sell semi flat beer.

:gag:

What are you going on about? I've been in going in the KIT for 18 months and have never had a "semi flat" beer without a head. Proper lined glasses which are absent from most pubs as well, guaranteeing the drinker a fair pint.

Archived