Aston Ponds & Clown Ponds Fishing in the 60's and 70's

sandie

I used to fish Clowne ponds in the 60's, in fact they are not much different now, apart from the price of course.

I also don't have to worry about walking round to catch the number three bus back home at night :)

i started fishing at clowne ponds in the early seventies, we called it bump mill, apparntly it was used way back for some sort of proccesing sail canvas, i fished there regular and when gained experiance had some very godd catches of tench and perch, i remember on day in the mis 70's catching so many tench i had to empty my keep net which would have been about a 10 foot, i also fished rodgers pond at killamarsh, my uncle was a foreman there and got me a few tickets, my mates and i baited up for 5 days, when the day came we tackeled up and within minutes i had a huge carp on as big as a dustbin lid, never landed it and caused so much comotion never had another bite, We also used to catch the number 3 bus to Frechville and fish the pond there, if it did not do much that day we would go to my grandmothers and feast on home made cakes, she lived on Silkstone road about 260 i think.

I remeber someone once telling me they had the chance of buying clowne ponds in the late 50's for £500 but did not think it would ever make any money, as kids we used to get free days fishing for every pike we could snaffle with a treble hook around the shallows

Archived