Garside - Ranmoor Inn

CHAIRBOY

Very sorry to impart news of the death of Ella Garside (27 Jan) - once welcoming host of the Ranmoor Inn in Sheffield and pianist extraordinaire - with her sing-along medleys. Ella died aged 96 and was married to the late Wilf. Those who knew her and the happy times she provided in her pub, will be sad to learn of her passing. Her funeral service - appropriately at St.John's Church, Ranmoor - is next Monday (5 Feb) at 12.30pm.

Very sorry to impart news of the death of Ella Garside (27 Jan) - once welcoming host of the Ranmoor Inn in Sheffield and pianist extraordinaire - with her sing-along medleys. Ella died aged 96 and was married to the late Wilf. Those who knew her and the happy times she provided in her pub, will be sad to learn of her passing. Her funeral service - appropriately at St.John's Church, Ranmoor - is next Monday (5 Feb) at 12.30pm.

Very sorry to hear this, not a bad innings though and she did carry quite a bit of weight. Lovely evenings with Mrs Garside playing the piano and Wilf always in a flap, what did they call the other lady who also played the piano, she lived on Cruise Road? Roger Taylor and his dad often used the pub, happy days.

I remember Bert who used to wait-on at the weekends. Everyone had to be quiet as Bert gave his rendition of "Trees". The late Wilf could often be seen making his way to his South Stand seat at Hillsborough about 3.15pm, just after closing time!

They had two children, Pam whom I remember serving in the bar and John who was a trombonist in the Central Technical School orchestra. Nice family indeed and I have some fond memories of their hospitality at the Ranmoor.

Archived