Funny product warnings

Last year, a colleague of mine succumbed to pester power and bought a Hamster for one of her children. It came complete with an instruction manual, how to feed, what religion it was, that kind of stuff but the killer was in the final paragraph of the leaflet..........'Do not place in microwave' .

I remember an article about a woman (won't say what nationality, but she was from the other side of the Atlantic) who successfully sued a microwave manufacturer as her poodle exploded when she tried to dry it in a microwave. Apparently, she'd always dried her poodle in the oven before and as the microwave did not have a warning, she thought it OK.

G

I remember an article about a woman (won't say what nationality, but she was from the other side of the Atlantic) who successfully sued a microwave manufacturer as her poodle exploded when she tried to dry it in a microwave. Apparently, she'd always dried her poodle in the oven before and as the microwave did not have a warning, she thought it OK.

G

And that's what is behind all of these amazingly stupid warning labels. It's not enough that you will WIN such a completely silly lawsuit; even if you do win, and even if you have costs awarded against the plaintiff, it's still going to cost you money because the plaintiff won't HAVE enough to pay your costs, whether ordered to do so or not.

So in order to avoid even the possibility of being sued, you put "warning: contains nuts" on a packet of nuts, and on a Superman cape for kids you put "Toy only. Wearing this cape does not enable the user to fly."

And that's what is behind all of these amazingly stupid warning labels. It's not enough that you will WIN such a completely silly lawsuit; even if you do win, and even if you have costs awarded against the plaintiff, it's still going to cost you money because the plaintiff won't HAVE enough to pay your costs, whether ordered to do so or not.

So in order to avoid even the possibility of being sued, you put "warning: contains nuts" on a packet of nuts, and on a Superman cape for kids you put "Toy only. Wearing this cape does not enable the user to fly."

Very true. Easy meat for money grabbing Lawyers and a total denial of any kind of responsibility on the part of Joe Public. I have a bag of spuds in my fridge which is labelled 'Suitable for Vegetarians'.............sounds about right.

I just found a couple more in my kitchen. one on a microwave pudding that my daughter was just eating.

It said WARNING WHEN COOKED THIS PRODUCT WILL BE HOT AFTER HEATING.

The other one is on a glass Jar of Beetroot, at the top of the jar it states TWIST TO OPEN.

G

snopes' urban legends site says:-

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/microwavedpet.asp

"although there have been some verifiable cases of micropooching, eah of them was been found to be deliberate acts of cruelty, perpetrated by twisted souls who knew exactly what they were doing"

oh and this wasn't so much of a product warning but a daft sign.

We were in a caravan at Haven (Mablethorpe) and there were 2 signs next to each other, the first saying 'in case of fire contact office', the second said 'office hours 8am-5pm!'

Speaking of funny signs. Saw a photo on someones myspace profile and they assure me its 100% genuine from the hospital near him.

Family Planning Advice

Use Rear Entrance

I dunno if he is pullin mi plonker or not but i NEARLY wet myself. I really hope its real. I'll stick a link up to the profile when im not behind a ridiculous work firewall.

Archived