Funny product warnings

It's actually to do with the additives they put into things like juice, (the vitamins and emulsifiers etc)

Some of them may have animal derivatives, and therefore aren't suitable for veggies. (certain vitamins are animal derived and certain food colourants like cochineal are made from insects)

It's the same with things like yoghurt. Many have gelatine in them as a thickener :gag: Which is actually something I find ridiculous. Yoghurt is milk, starter and fruit purée. Why the heck they need to put such garbage in yoghurts is beyond me. Maybe it's to disguise the fact that it's cag...

There is an app I use on my phone which tells us what is safe and what isn't, called "halal or haram" which tells you whether or not an e-number is of animal derivation, and, fortunately for me, also whether a product contains alcohol which is forbidden.

Interesting, thanks for the info :)

I'm not a vegetarian, but I avoid cheese and yoghurt and jelly sweets that contain gelatine (or animal rennet in the case of cheese). In the case of yoghurt I prefer natural yoghurt rather than ones like Muller Light which are full of sugar, gelatin and who knows what else. Yeo Valley yoghurt is really nice and has nothing added :thumbsup:

Yes. There are similar lists of non-Kosher 'e number' additives.

Do you happen to have the non kosher/Halal application link please?

For me its about meat products as I tend to avoid standard meat/poultry due to the way the animal is killed. I also abstain from alcohol however not for religious purposes (I am intolerant to alcohol and caffeine):gag: before anyone says anything odd and insulting

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 19:35 ----------

I saw a sign in Scarborough last year on the lifts on the South side stating

"Open every day all year - Closed":loopy:

Well you learn something new every day! So it refers to the weight rather than the volume?

With salamis the percentage of pork is done by weight and the higher above 100% the better quality. I don't know how it's done with other foods.

I always look out for the "prepared with xx g of fruit per 100 g" for jams and preservatives which is legally required on the label.

Anything above 50% is good, below that it's barely jam.

Archived