Rivelin Swimming Lake

smary

Used to spend many Sunday's at the paddling pools, my brother used to prefer to go in the weir just behind the wall. Also took my kids there when they were young, the paddling pools had got very grotty by then, but they still enjoyed it. Is it all still there?

Apart from the paddling pools, 70+ years ago there was an actual outdoor swimming bath in Rivelin, at the bottom of Roscoe Wood near the ruined mill. I have two postcard views of it, and my late father told me that it was very popular in summer, but it closed in the late 1930s when the (wooden) changing pavilion mysteriously burned down one night.

Does anyone remember going to the pools at Rivelin, Malin Bridge - it used to be one of the highlights of the six weeks holiday - remember sitting of the weir having a photo - wearing of course the elasticated swim suit and rubber hat. I am really that old!!!!

its all been recently refurbed. The paddling pools are not full of broken glass but are maintained daily and chlorinated. The cafe is all spruced up and even does cappucinos now! and the playground has been modernised and made safer.

We went down last summer, a gang of mums and about 12 kids, it was PACKED! bum space by the pool was premium and we ended up having a picnic on the slopey bit near the river past the park.

I recommend it to everyone...

btw Jabs.. me too, but we used to go skinny dipping in the first pond! :o

There is that oblong depression in the river (definately man made has its got concrete sides) near the paddling pools, any idea what it was used for was it for swimming?

The old swimming pool was upstream of the paddling pool and playground, at the bottom of Roscoe Wood, on the north-west side of the river, just below the stone bridge.

I know the place Wadsleyite.

My dad (who's now 82) often told us he swam in it as a child.

It was overgrown when I first saw it in the fifties though.

We had to make do with the paddling pool or the river...much prefered splashing around in the river.

Archived