Candow Street Attercliffe

dinah

l lived in candow str fom 1947 to 1962 i knew most people in the street the gills, the meagans, the birches, the johnsons, hutchingson, smiths had some times in that street great times

Edited by chavey42

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

my great grandmother second mother law, owned a Grocers on Candow street, her name Was Sarah dyson, she was a widow, she has a son named John Dyson, and a daughter named Amy who married a Alfred Ford and they had a son named Percy does anyone knew of these people? and have a pic of the grocers on Candow street? as I cant seem to find it.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 23:22 ----------

Hi, my great-grandad was Byron Heselwood he lived at 48 Ardmore st Attercliffe, just wondering if anyone had any info on the Heselwood family, my grandmother was Mildred Heselwood, many thanks Helen.:)

Do you know a Lillian? alice? alfred? they lived on 37 Ardmoore st???

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 23:29 ----------

knew a few people off candow and ardmore street BRUNTS/BULLIVANTS/DEXTERS/MEDLEYS/ scrap yard on ardmore st fox house pub at top of the street, top of candow st was heselwoods shop who allso were in the scrap business think walter was one of the family

You know Medleys? what Medleys do you know? did the heselwoods shop use to be a Grocers? as my great grandmother second husband mother owned the Grocers on candow street a very long time ago, she had a son named alfred ford? and his previous wife Amy ford.......and they had a son named percy ford, and they had 6 more children and moved to 37 Ardmoore st......and re married and my grandmother and my father moved in.......on 37 ardmoore st.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Everyone, it's good to see a forum such as this is active. I have a very personal reason to be thankful!

I'm Gary Mellon and was born in Candow Street on 9th Oct 1950. Not the actual street but in one of the houses! I believe it was Dr Botros who delivered me. Both my parents Andrew - known as Andy (b1925) and Dorothy (b1926 nee Bamford) where brought up in the Attercliffe/Darnell area. My elder brothers Andrew, Keith, and sister Pauline were also born there. However, we moved to Woodcock Place, Wybourn in 1951... possibly due to overcrowding and the availability of a Council House. My parents went on to have three more children Sonia, Glynn and Peter... so the overcrowding continued. 

Most of my family still live in Sheffield (however, I've lived around London for the last 50 years), and some have very good information about Candow Street and a few of the residents in the 1940/50's which I'm sure they would be willing to add to these pages in the near future.

Edited by CandowSt1950
spelling error