Should Duelling Be Legalised?

Duelling for honour or the honour of a lady is a wonderful idea.

The trouble is, "honour" and "ladies" are rare these days, so evolution would slowly but surely weed out the honourable among the human race as each duel was fought and the end result would be a world populated by cowards, Chavs and trollops.

Well you already know that I pride myself on honour, decorum and proper modes of behaviour.

However, as a man of modern science and since the day that Max (our resident sword expert) pulled me up about my once quite handy, but long faded foil and épée technique I decided that I should follow the fine example of toffs of yore and always pay for what I can afford instead of doing it myself - especially if it's a bit dangerous :)

Therefore I nominate Max as my proxy by sword, and Bartfarst as my proxy by pistol. :D

You may not be the bravest of men, Tony, but I salute your wisdom in your choices! ;):)

StarSparkle

Duelling for honour or the honour of a lady is a wonderful idea.

The trouble is, "honour" and "ladies" are rare these days, so evolution would slowly but surely weed out the honourable among the human race as each duel was fought and the end result would be a world populated by cowards, Chavs and trollops.

I believe that was why duelling was finally outlawed in France - too many of the nobs were being killed by other nobs! :hihi:

StarSparkle

I believe that was why duelling was finally outlawed in France - too many of the nobs were being killed by other nobs! :hihi:

StarSparkle

Then of course you have to think of the class divide. Imagine duelling at dawn against a chav. Firstly he`d have to be dragged out of his bed because they rarely rise before 11am, then once you finally got him to the field, youd have to be careful because by the time you were at en garde, standing straight and proud with the sunrise at your back, he`d in all probability plant a size nine Dock Marten boot into your gonads.

Before duelling is reintroduced at least 90% of the population would have to have etiquette and decorum drummed into them.

Then of course you have to think of the class divide. Imagine duelling at dawn against a chav. Firstly he`d have to be dragged out of his bed because they rarely rise before 11am, then once you finally got him to the field, youd have to be careful because by the time you were at en garde, standing straight and proud with the sunrise at your back, he`d in all probability plant a size nine Dock Marten boot into your gonads.

Before duelling is reintroduced at least 90% of the population would have to have etiquette and decorum drummed into them.

Excellent points!

Reminds me of that scene in "Indiana Jones" where our hero faces an obvious expert in swordsmanship, who's whirling his sword around expertly; our hero's face gives us the message 'oh no, not again, I really can't be bothered'; so he pulls out his gun and shoots the swordsman! :hihi:

Nah, I think duelling would have to be limited to those of a certain 'class', with certain codes of behaiour drummed into them from an early age... with absolutely NO chavs. I fear the field of suitable candidates left would be rather small, and as a lot of the fun of duelling would be to put upstart, rude oiks firmly in their place with an expert epee stroke, perhaps Lord C's idea is a bit of a non-starter... :( Fun to contemplate though!

StarSparkle

Oh, yes, do bring back duelling .!! Im sure there are lots of people on here who would want to get rid of their partners. What more honourable a way ?(you know what they say, you cant eat the same pasta sauce every night) ;)

I now know to turn down any pasta dishes you offer me :|

Therefore I nominate Max as my proxy by sword, and Bartfarst as my proxy by pistol. :D

I would be honoured to retrieve the gauntlet on your behalf should the need arise. Rates can be discussed at a later date but I will offer my services to all forum members with a suitable discount.

A tip should you be facing a duel at a remote location:

Only buy a single ticket, you can use your opponent's ticket for the return journey.

Archived