Should Duelling Be Legalised?

Well you already know that I pride myself on honour, decorum and proper modes of behaviour.

However, as a man of modern science and since the day that Max (our resident sword expert) pulled me up about my once quite handy, but long faded foil and épée technique I decided that I should follow the fine example of toffs of yore and always pay for what I can afford instead of doing it myself - especially if it's a bit dangerous :)

Therefore I nominate Max as my proxy by sword, and Bartfarst as my proxy by pistol. :D

Well I prefer to use my bushido training does that mean I could wear my (daisho) swords as samurai. These are the best swords in the world.:thumbsup:

I have just been wondering if there was anyone on SF who I would like to run through with a deft thrust of a needle-sharp rapier.

No, couldn't think of anybody :) .

You must have the patience of a saint or you dont want to get banned, if not SF, then surely there must be someone at some point who has made you want to?

To some extent this practice was tolerated long after was was no longer legal. It is relatively recently that we have decided that a persone dying during a fight was murdered.

I am not sure about this Ken. I think the key to it is intent. If your intention is to kill someone in a fight (which is the purpose of a duel) then I would think it would be classified as murder

I have just been wondering if there was anyone on SF who I would like to run through with a deft thrust of a needle-sharp rapier.

No, couldn't think of anybody :) .

not only are you wussing out by not telling who you'd most like to carve open with a large 'C' on their chest, but you are also missing a very easy descend-to-smut opportunity.

how very disappointing.

I am not sure about this Ken. I think the key to it is intent. If your intention is to kill someone in a fight (which is the purpose of a duel) then I would think it would be classified as murder

Yes, but when two people fight with weapons this is always seen as evidence of intent. In the case of a duell it would not have been the intention to kill, but they would have both know that this could happen and was even likely. In 2007, if two people both have knives and have a "fair fight" then the winner (assuming the loser is dead) might be charged with murder, or possibly manslaughter. A hundred years ago it would certainly not have been anything more than an assualt or GBH type of charge. This is one of the many reasons why we (not you of course) think we live in more dangerous times.

Archived