Should Duelling Be Legalised?

not only are you wussing out by not telling who you'd most like to carve open with a large 'C' on their chest, but you are also missing a very easy descend-to-smut opportunity.

how very disappointing.

baby, I am much too refined to ever descend to smut and much too soft-hearted to be able to skewer someone with a well-honed blade. :thumbsup:

Do it. They could televise it, would be better than the crap thats on Saturday nights at the minute

Hmmm Saturday night "Celebrity Duel" now thats celebrity reality TV i'd watch. Loads of Z list celebs doing us all a favour and producing the only piece of genuine entertainment they have ever done.

Go on then who would you like to see fight. I think Barrymore V Chantelle would be good. He's light on his feet and with a sword he could be a bit tasty.

I thought that we already had quite a league of heated duels here on SF anyway.

It does appeal.

Swords - Rapier, katana or English broadsword?

Pistols - at 10, 20 or 50 paces?

Or maybe rifles, standing shots at 300 yards?

Would the mods turn a blind eye to the odd poster being skewered, or shot?

Two ex-colleagues of mine used to have dictionary duels. Each would in turn ask the other to define a difficult word from a big thick Oxford dictionary - the loser was the first to fail to recognise the word, or work it out from the Latin/Greek origin. They did both look like 1960s Open University lecturers.

Or hooked?

There are plenty of odd posters on here you are correct. :hihi:

It does appeal.

Swords - Rapier, katana or English broadsword?

Pistols - at 10, 20 or 50 paces?

Or maybe rifles, standing shots at 300 yards?

Two ex-colleagues of mine used to have dictionary duels. Each would in turn ask the other to define a difficult word from a big thick Oxford dictionary - the loser was the first to fail to recognise the word, or work it out from the Latin/Greek origin. They did both look like 1960s Open University lecturers.

If I ever challenge (or am challenged by) anyone to a duel on the forum, I nominate Timo as my second - and if he is not available Bartfarst (if I could get hold of him, as he appears to have disappeared). So if any one dares to impugn my honour, or for that matter any of the fair ladies on the forum of whom I am fond, they had better make sure that they have completed their last will and testament.

If I ever challenge (or am challenged by) anyone to a duel on the forum, I nominate Timo as my second - and if he is not available Bartfarst (if I could get hold of him, as he appears to have disappeared). So if any one dares to impugn my honour, or for that matter any of the fair ladies on the forum of whom I am fond, they had better make sure that they have completed their last will and testament.

I understand Bartfarst just picked up a handful of medals, including a gold, for pistol shooting at the US Armed Forces Interational Skill at Arms Meeting, so he'd be a good choice.

Is Timo a master swordsman?

Is Timo a master swordsman?

He is a superlative verbal swordsman and a master of invective, so he would be a good choice as a second for a forum duel of 'insults and cutting barbs' at dawn.

As Bartfarst has already been claimed by Tony, I will place my faith in Timo. Incidentally, the last duel I mentioned involved a former army officer who was a master shot (and who had fought many duels) and a businessman who had never fired a gun in his life before, let alone fought a duel. Guess who won?

• 3 years later...
The last duel in UK took place in 1826 and involved a bank manager and an irate customer. I think there is a good case for reviving this manly, honourable and chivalrous practice. At present, anyone can impugn our honour, and indeed rain insults on our heads, and get away with it, unless we are rich enough to hire a lawyer and pursue the case through the courts. The present system is of course of great benefit to lawyers, but leaves many of us seething as a result of grievous wrongs unrighted.

I think that the reintroduction of duelling, with pistols or swords, would not only serve to reinstate the manly virtues of courage and honour, but would also make our social interactions more courteous and civilised, for fear of being challenged to mortal combat. I do hope no one suggests some kind of namby pamby comprise, such as the usage of paint balls, laser tags or taser guns as an alternative to the weapons tradition has decreed to be most suitable for the settlement of disputes, i.e. the pistol or sword. The romance of duelling could never be complete without the prospect of crimson oozing onto white shirts, a la Scaramouche. Personally, I am quite looking forward to the prospect of saying to someone, ‘you sir, are a rogue and a bounder! I will see you at dawn tomorrow on Devonshire Green’.

I'd imagine the next duel would be between, bank manager and irate customer aswell :hihi:

Archived