What was that pub that looked like a street?

evamermaid

The landlord was called Vic, his wife Muriel & they were good friends of mine.

Vic died of cancer just after they left the Stonehouse & their lovely daughter died not long after.

I was a bouncer there until Vic & Muriel left.

The stone house used to have a street in the back of it a couple of decades ago, from what I have heard. For the last 10 years it was an overpriced place with no atmosphere, and hardly any customers until it closed down.

The museum, of old was converted to a more modern pub when orchard square opened. I think it became the Orchard, later Hogshead, and now it is called the Museum again. It is the same building but the insides have been modernised a bit. At the back it has an entrance into orchard square where it has tables. Last time I visited I was quite impressed, it had cosy corners stuffed with sofas and lots of cask ales.

How things change, hey... Last time I was in Sheff Centre, the Museum was down a narrow road which cut off the main road. No Orchard Square in those days... Pleased to hear the Museum is still called that (what was the origin of the name?) and is a nice place to go for a beer.

How things change, hey... Last time I was in Sheff Centre, the Museum was down a narrow road which cut off the main road. No Orchard Square in those days... Pleased to hear the Museum is still called that (what was the origin of the name?) and is a nice place to go for a beer.

That narrow road is called orchard street and it is still there! The obvious difference you would notice today would be that the building on the right of the pub was demolished to form a gateway into orchard square for vehicles, now the pub is an end of terrace property, and I think it has extra windows on this side and the ouside tables on the corner of the orchard square sides.

The museum, of old was converted to a more modern pub when orchard square opened. I think it became the Orchard, later Hogshead, and now it is called the Museum again. It is the same building but the insides have been modernised a bit. At the back it has an entrance into orchard square where it has tables. Last time I visited I was quite impressed, it had cosy corners stuffed with sofas and lots of cask ales.

Err, sorry to contradict but it is not the same building at all. When Orchard Square was being built, Whitbread bought it and were horrified to find that the frontage of the pub was listed. They therefore demolished all the pub except the front wall and built a completely new pub in its' place. No more that the frontage of the original pub survived. Shame really as the gents at the old Museum was such a treat :hihi: :hihi:

Err, sorry to contradict but it is not the same building at all. When Orchard Square was being built, Whitbread bought it and were horrified to find that the frontage of the pub was listed. They therefore demolished all the pub except the front wall and built a completely new pub in its' place. No more that the frontage of the original pub survived. Shame really as the gents at the old Museum was such a treat :hihi: :hihi:

I think Whitbread owned it well before Orchard square days - although you're probably right about the listing. Can't remember the toilets, but I do remember the cellar access was in the centre of the serving area.

Used to love going in the Stonehouse in the 70's. If I remember rightly before they had their 're-vamp' and the cobbles were taken out they used to do some brilliants meals, especially their steak pie. Mmmmm mouth watering. :) It never seemed the same once the re-vamp was completed - the pub seemed to have lost something (well, yeh! it's cobbled street!) :hihi: !!! But seriously, it just was never the same after the re-vamp but it is a shame to hear that it has closed down totally. S'pose proves that not all changes are for the better.

I remember the Stoowen House (Stone House) One of the rooms was like a courtyard, as i remember the ceiling was painted in black/dark blue with the odd speck of white to resemble stars and it looked very realistic.

Theres a thread here and http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181356 a live webcam that looks down Orchard Street.

I remember the Stoowen House (Stone House) One of the rooms was like a courtyard, as i remember the ceiling was painted in black/dark blue with the odd speck of white to resemble stars and it looked very realistic.

Theres a thread here and http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181356 a live webcam that looks down Orchard Street.

Back in 1980 I think it was (during my Royal Navy days), a group of us from my ship called in the Stone House on one of the lads' stag night (he was a local guy). We'd had a few by the time we got there and I remember one of our group (from London), obviously intrigued by the painted ceiling, looking upwards and upwards until he lost it and fell flat on his arse. On getting up he remarked "what happens when it rains" :D

Archived