What was that pub that looked like a street?

evamermaid

I seem to recall that we'd had a skinfull well before we got there :hihi:

I remember a load of lads came into the Stonehouse who were rowdy & Vic told me to tell them to be quiet & I thought they were going to kick off, but they didn't, I wonder if it was you & your mates..... if it was, thanks for not ripping my head off. :hihi:

It was realistic, wasn't it! What I was really into in those days, however, was REAL original Sheffield pubs. Trouble was it was just as the breweries were doing their disgraceful refurbs of just about anything they could lay their hands on.

I remember when the Red Deer behind West Street lost its outside bogs and its individual rooms (and the lady and her piano) when it was "brewerified". Ditto the Beehive, the Hallamshire, the Broomhill Tav, the Notty House, etc etc etc etc etc. Fortunately, at that time, the Museum escaped such vandalism as did the Globe near the Poly if I remember rightly (with its outside loos). And that Irish pub down the hill behind the cathedral. A real Irish pub, none of that fake stuff you get these days.

THE WORST AND MOST DISGRACEFUL refurbs at the time were ones like that pub near The Bath on West Street which was done out like a pirate ship and another similar pub at the town end of London Road.

When The Stonehouse was a proper pub back in the 60's the landlord was a smashing Dutch guy called Bill Hoffman, his daughter Jill is the licencee of The Sportsman at Lodge Moor.

The Museum was very popular although a bit scruffy, I still had my fill of sausage sandwiches though.

Archived