Info about Meers Brook

Has anyone got photos or information about where the Meers Brook is now?

I am lead to believe it use to run down past Meersbrook garage, down Albert Road towards Chesterfield Road and into the River Sheaf. A neighbour of mine said it had been diverted into a pipe underground now which runs under the gardens of Albert Road.

If this is right, how can I or who can I ask to find out. I have tried Yorkshire Water, they have no idea and also the National Rivers they said much of the same thing.

If anyone was living in the area or saw this happen and can remember where the water now goes I would love to hear.

I am lead to believe it use to run down past Meersbrook garage, down Albert Road towards Chesterfield Road and into the River Sheaf. A neighbour of mine said it had been diverted into a pipe underground now which runs under the gardens of Albert Road.

If this is right, how can I or who can I ask to find out. I have tried Yorkshire Water, they have no idea and also the National Rivers they said much of the same thing.

If anyone was living in the area or saw this happen and can remember where the water now goes I would love to hear.

The Meers Brook is a stream in Sheffield, England and one of the main tributaries of the River Sheaf. The Meers Brook originates in Gleadless and flows downhill through Gleadless Valley and Meersbrook then, tunneled, continues underneath Meersbrook to pour into the River Sheaf near Saxon Road and Clyde Road in Lowfield.

Here you go

IIRC it used to go across under Brooklyn Road by the flat bit (but was culverted in the 50s) it then ran down behind the houses on the left hand side of Albert Road into a tilt dam just before Plantation Road on the other side, presumably then went under Chesterfield Road and into the Sheaf at Saxon Road ... there are pix of it somewhere, I've seen them, try Picture Sheffield.

I was only little at the time but remember playing around the tilt and once got stuck and lost my shoes in the silt ... a workman came and pulled me out and gave me a real telling off :mad: I never found my shoes though.

Thanks for that, I was hopeing to find out the route the pipe now goes especially down the Albert Road part, as in is the pipe under the road or in peoples back gardens

The only picture I've ever found of the Meers Brook is one showing an old footbridge over it on Rushdale avenue.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s12570

The 1905 map of the area shows the brook before it was taken underground and almost all the back gardens of the houses on the south side of Albert road had the brook as their boundary. I image the culvert that now carries the brook will be along the same line.

It joined the Sheaf at the old Heeley Mill and I believe the outfall can still be seen from Broadfield road.

The pipe, I believe, still follows the original course of the Meers Brook at least from Meersbrook road to Brooklyn Road. I would be surprised if it deviates at all further on because the whole area is built up and there would be no room without disturbing dwellings etc. I know the brook was still in existence in the 1940's and 1950's because I used to play in it as a child (paddled almost the full length, nearly to the River Sheaf) in the 40's and 50's. I then lived on Albert Rd in 1965 and it ran at the bottom of my garden but had been piped at the footbridge on Kent Road. It used to be the boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire but this was before my time. Disgusting that the Water Authorities know nothing about it - How long is our history going to last at this rate?

• 6 years later...

I was born in Albert road near Plantation road in the 50s at the bottom of our garden was what we called the Dam (between our garden and the back of Joseph Tyzacks)

I remember the culvert.............(played in it before put in situ) it was a concrete tunnel about 4foot high and steel re-inforced.in sections of around 12 foot the brooks path went behind Maxons sweet factory and then behind the houses at the ower end of Albert Road , under Chesterfield road and into the sheaf on Saxon road If you stand at the stone bridge across from the railway you will see onyour left the outlet of the Meers Brook runninto the Sheaf. I live close by even now and it is still viewable..........Does anyone remember the Tall chimney of Joseph tyzaks being demolished? I do, but only just !

Did you live near the organ builder Organ grinder?

Pat

HI to all, yes you are all right, I was born and lived for 20 years at the bottom of Valley Road ( top of Arthington Street ) and yes the brook ran at the bottom of Arthington St. and in the early sixties was put through five or six foot concreat pipes. I know this as fact because my pals and I played in them when layed, walking probably hundreds of feet

underground with candles.we used to gather in manholes! so they must still be somewere

still on the old route so I bet you could trace them. Best of luck !!

HI to all, yes you are all right, I was born and lived for 20 years at the bottom of Valley Road ( top of Arthington Street ) and yes the brook ran at the bottom of Arthington St. and in the early sixties was put through five or six foot concreat pipes. I know this as fact because my pals and I played in them when layed, walking probably hundreds of feet

underground with candles.we used to gather in manholes! so they must still be somewere

still on the old route so I bet you could trace them. Best of luck !!

Artington street was at the back of our doctors and the Meersbrook Tannery buildings.................... know it well!

My hubby who lived on Albert road a few doors away from me (as kids) followed through like you did with a mate of his.

Do you remember the gas explosion on Bradbury Street? Early one morning in the early 60s?

Really pleased to hear of someone else who had adventures as a kid albeit rather dangerous!!! Pleased to hear from you!

Hubby and I have been enjoying chatting about when we were kids playing in the dam at the bottom of what we knew as the "field" on Albert road!

Regards Pat

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 21:25 ----------