Info about Meers Brook

I know someone who lived on Albert Road from 1960-70 and Meers Brook ran at the bottom of their back garden, they lived on the left hand side going down Albert Road near to Frank Wornes dairyman.

The pipe was installed late 60's.

Kent Road to Brooklyn Road section was completed first then Meers Brook was culverted from behind the post office on Albert Road and the pipe ran in a straight line through all of the back gardens on Albert Road and behind Wilcox Organ Works roughly to Wheeler Road Transport (ex. old tram sheds).

This made the culvert approximately 20 feet away from the original route.

The pipe was about 5' in diameter, they also walked up it with torches.

I know someone who lived on Albert Road from 1960-70 and Meers Brook ran at the bottom of their back garden, they lived on the left hand side going down Albert Road near to Frank Wornes dairyman.

The pipe was installed late 60's.

Kent Road to Brooklyn Road section was completed first then Meers Brook was culverted from behind the post office on Albert Road and the pipe ran in a straight line through all of the back gardens on Albert Road and behind Wilcox Organ Works roughly to Wheeler Road Transport (ex. old tram sheds).

This made the culvert approximately 20 feet away from the original route.

The pipe was about 5' in diameter, they also walked up it with torches.

Hi ,

It was earlier than the late 60s when the culvert at the bottom of our garden was done My gran died in 1966 and it had been covered ages before that.

I remember Frank Wornes too! and I think you are talking about John , Mick, Ernest and Emily ............don't want to put the surname . Our house was the one next to the grass field which led down to the meers brook There are delapidated garages there ...............

Regard,

Pat

Hi I lived on rushdale road and the river meers flowed at the bottom of kent road it cut kent road in two. a wooden bridge connected the road. As a lad we used to walk across the wooden handrail to see if we could cross the bridge without falling in, i came home wet many a time. I think the reason for piping the river was because a car came down kent hill the driver thinking he could go straight through but the car hit the wall at the side of the river and the driver and passengers were all killed. A black and white striped gas lamp was in the middle of the wall as a warning sign.

Hi ,

It was earlier than the late 60s when the culvert at the bottom of our garden was done My gran died in 1966 and it had been covered ages before that.

I remember Frank Wornes too! and I think you are talking about John , Mick, Ernest and Emily ............don't want to put the surname . Our house was the one next to the grass field which led down to the meers brook There are delapidated garages there ...............

Regard,

Pat

I suspect it would be around 1962 as this person went to Newfield when Carfield closed which was 1962. It was the Empire Rib Company (umbrella factory) which was at the bottom of their garden. The family which you mention went to Australia.

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 09:57 ----------

Hi I lived on rushdale road and the river meers flowed at the bottom of kent road it cut kent road in two. a wooden bridge connected the road. As a lad we used to walk across the wooden handrail to see if we could cross the bridge without falling in, i came home wet many a time. I think the reason for piping the river was because a car came down kent hill the driver thinking he could go straight through but the car hit the wall at the side of the river and the driver and passengers were all killed. A black and white striped gas lamp was in the middle of the wall as a warning sign.

I presume you would have been at school with Marion Maynard (Maz).

I too remember the stream. and the lamp. The culvert was most likely done because of flooding in the back gardens on Albert road At the bottom of our garden was a shallow dam which filled up quickly when it rained....................It flooded regularly and left bad smelling silt behind.............probably some sewage too.

I dont remember Marion..............I went to Anns Road school.

Regards,

Pat

---------- Post added 30-07-2013 at 10:05 ----------

Hi again Duffems! Yes................they went to Australia!!

Sorry, that message about Maz was for davided.

The person who I know lived on Albert Road (near Frank Wornes/Hobsons) their garden didn't flood because there was a wall at the bottom of their garden, the brook was about 4' below this level. When the pipe was constructed all their back garden was excavated which meant they actually had a decent lawn afterwards, they had to buy a lawn mower!

Frank Wornes/Hobsons finished up with newly built garages whereas they had dilapidated ones before.

Did you live near Nixons beer-off shop?

Sorry, that message about Maz was for davided.

The person who I know lived on Albert Road (near Frank Wornes/Hobsons) their garden didn't flood because there was a wall at the bottom of their garden, the brook was about 4' below this level. When the pipe was constructed all their back garden was excavated which meant they actually had a decent lawn afterwards, they had to buy a lawn mower!

Frank Wornes/Hobsons finished up with newly built garages whereas they had dilapidated ones before.

Did you live near Nixons beer-off shop?

I remember Marsdens beer off and Jarvises and Colleys paper shop all on albert road.

There was a 4 foot drop at the bottom of our garden into the shallow dam but it still flooded!

I remember Marsdens beer off and Jarvises and Colleys paper shop all on albert road.

There was a 4 foot drop at the bottom of our garden into the shallow dam but it still flooded!

Was Marsdens the shop at the bottom of Shirebrook Road (Minibits) and Jarvises was corner of Brooklyn Road/Albert Road?