Info about Meers Brook

You can follow Meersbrook all the way down Gleadless valley and see it at the back of Meersbrook garage where it disappears under Carrfield road and it is then piped and comes out behind the Sheaf house pub just before the railway track.

Hi Duffems,

I know of Maz but i left about 3 years before her, didnt she live on upper valley road at the top near memmots. I was courting Christine Hunter when i knew Maz I think they were in the same class.

Hi Duffems,

I know of Maz but i left about 3 years before her, didnt she live on upper valley road at the top near memmots. I was courting Christine Hunter when i knew Maz I think they were in the same class.

Hi davided,

Yes, Maz was my neighbour, she lived at the top of Upper Valley. Storeys lived at the top house then Ann Holt, Brian Lingard then Maynards.

I recall that you were at school with one of the Memmott boys, we were in the same year as the youngest Memmott.

Hi Maxiesmum Yes I remember the explosion well, it was one of my pals dad looking for a gas leak with a match (or so his son told us) it was the Ritchardson family about half way down. I lived in the flats at the bottom of Valley Road (the old tannery) born in 52 and grew up there till I wed in 73, any info I can help with to willing to reminis.

Hi Maxiesmum Yes I remember the explosion well, it was one of my pals dad looking for a gas leak with a match (or so his son told us) it was the Ritchardson family about half way down. I lived in the flats at the bottom of Valley Road (the old tannery) born in 52 and grew up there till I wed in 73, any info I can help with to willing to reminis.

You're not one of the Bailey's are you?

...Storeys lived at the top house then Ann Holt, Brian Lingard then Maynards. I recall that you were at school with one of the Memmott boys...
Here is a scan of that end of the road from the 1965 Kelly's Directory which might have some familiar names. "Henry Memmott" is shown a little further down at No 98..:)

Hi Davided, This is Ed H. I lived at 110 Rushdale Rd, Left for Oz in 1964, then age 21. What great memories the brook evokes. Tickling trout, (some up to 11, 12 inches long), moulding touch burners from the clay out of the riverbank behind the scout hut, taking dares to wade through the tunnel under Carrfield Rd, (watch out for the rats), damming the river up behind Rose Cottage in Cat Lane Woods. Life was never boring then, eh? Hope you are keeping well. Regards, Ed H.

Here is a scan of that end of the road from the 1965 Kelly's Directory which might have some familiar names. "Henry Memmott" is shown a little further down at No 98..:)

Thanks hillsbro,

I remember all those people named on there, our family had sold the house by then so we're not on that list.

Wading the stream/brook in yer wellies and scaring each other with tales of rats as big as cats was the favourite pastime of most of the kids.

Edited by DUFFEMS

Hi I lived on rushdale road and the river meers flowed at the bottom of kent road it cut kent road in two. a wooden bridge connected the road. As a lad we used to walk across the wooden handrail to see if we could cross the bridge without falling in, i came home wet many a time. I think the reason for piping the river was because a car came down kent hill the driver thinking he could go straight through but the car hit the wall at the side of the river and the driver and passengers were all killed. A black and white striped gas lamp was in the middle of the wall as a warning sign.

Here is a link to a photo of the wall, gas lamp and footbridge on the picturesheffield.com site, and here is an 1890s map showing the original course of the brook.