Huntsman gardens school.

pumas

The name is Fletcher, but I left HG in 1948 to go to the Sheffield Tech. Do you remember the Baileys on Britnall St? The only lad I knew on Titterton St. was Ralph Birchenough, did you know him?

Hi Rondonc, remember some Fletchers living in Titterton Street but no details. Same about the Baileys and Birchenoughs. It like someone was saying on a previous thread that your circle of friends are so different just within a few months of age. You went to Sheffield Tech after then? Bit clever then? !!!!

I remember going to the skating rink on Zion Lane and then the dancing and rock groups upstairs above the rink. Remember sometimes going in Cutlers pub at bottom of Britnall Street but that wasnt often - we didnt seem to bother with booze in our teens!!!

Hi Tangerine

Believe it or believe it not Gerald Bailey and I had a drink in the Cocked Hat a couple of weeks ago! I was showing him the new housing development in the Britnall St. area.

We are also due to meet up with Barrie Wragg who lived at No.25 Britnall St. Barrie had a sister called Jennifer. Did you know her?

We used to drink sarspirilla at the herblist on Leeds Road for our kicks:-)

Haaaa!!!! Sarsprilla at the herbalist near the library!! Me and a couple of my friends used to get all dolled up just to sit in there for 15 mins!!

And about the Cocked Hat. I have just found out it is closed. My husband died four years ago and we held his wake in there cos our families lived on Titterton Street till they were demolished so Attercliffe was our stomping ground!! Anyway, when we went in there that day (the last time I ever went in) amongst the pictures on the walls was a collage of photos, one of which was a photo of my husband's granddad (he was a coal-man who lived on Shirland Lane and this photo was a very old one of him with a horse and dray.

I always said I would ask if I could get a copy and as usual, time passes by. Just thought about it recently and found out it closed!! As you were down there recently, did you notice if it is up for sale cos I might be able to track down the vendors. How old would Barrie Wragg be now then, Rondonc?

If the CH is closed then it must have been in the last couple of weeks.. The coal merchant you mentioned who lived on Shirland Lane was called Freeman. He used to shout at Gerald and I and tell us to " get our Manchester gloves off", as we had our hands in our pockets. I would think that Barrie would be 70ish.

Yes, that's my son's great granddad all over - Tommy Freeman! He was a real character.

I think I do remember Barrie Wragg. I might try ringing the CH again then cos I tried it a couple of week ago and it rang out..... thanks for that.