Cyclops Street in the 1920s

• 1 year later...

This thread has'nt been active for a while. I hope it will create some intrest anyway. Cyclops St. was a cobbled street, some of the names that I remember are, Standages, Butlers (who have been mentioned on the Grimesthorpe thread quite extensively,) Pipers, Holmes corner shop, Plants, Dunns, Paines shop at the top of the street, to name a few. If you looked up the street on the lefthand side there were some nice larger houses whose backyards looked over the tip, the Simmonds family lived in one of these houses. I remember being schooled in there front room at some point during the war, I believe it was something to do with safety, by not allowing kids at school, you were taught in smaller groups closer to home.

IH DIDO

i was born on cyclops st in the forties do you remember wards /martins /taffinders/dunns/marples/varleys/higgins/mr and mrs greenwood/whittakers/crabtrees/mrs addy mrs thains had teh top shop and mr and mrs enzer had the bottom one do you remember playing football in the yard and the bomfires on on the tip happy days

Hi Ivandarrell, I remember some of the names, I think you are right about the top shop being "Thaines," I was calling them "Paines." While the "Enzer" name is familiar, I thought Mr. And Mrs. Holmes owned the Off Licence, the mind plays tricks these days and I stand corrected. I do remember the bonfires on the tip, which was a natural place for them, but I think some people might be surprised how many bonfires there were on Nov.5th. In peoples own backyards right on the asphalt which obviously melted the surface. I dont think that would fly in this day and age. I think I am going to mention the next little item on the Grimesthorpe thread also. Does anybody remember the long "Slide" that the kids in the neighbourhood made out of "Anderson Shelter" parts, (obviously late 40's) this was opposite MargateSt. going all the way down and bordering almost on Petre St. I know the Telegraph & Star took pictures which appeared in the paper. I wonder if that picture is in the archives some where and how would someone go about checking that out.

Hi IVANDARRELL When I was a kid the Esbergger family owned the fish and chip shop on Botham St, I've got to say the product was not very good, maybe it was because of wartime rationing and shortages, which went on even after the war, I don't know. But at some point a another family took it over, they might have been 'Swedish', anyway they ran a good business and the fish and chips were great, would they have been called 'Enzer'?

Hi S Fruicake F I Lived On Cyclops St And The Numbers Went To 49 On The Left And 52 On The Right Going Up From Botham St

The numbers actually went up to 58, onthe right hand side, the two houses on their own right at the top. The family at the top house no 58, were called Knowles, the kids were, Peter, Maurice, and Marilin.

Archived