Cyclops Street in the 1920s

IH DIDO

i was born on cyclops st in the forties do you remember wards /martins /taffinders/dunns/marples/varleys/higgins/mr and mrs greenwood/whittakers/crabtrees/mrs addy mrs thains had teh top shop and mr and mrs enzer had the bottom one do you remember playing football in the yard and the bomfires on on the tip happy days

When I moved into my present address 35 years ago, Susan Dunn lived next door, she eventually moved, then divorced, then moved to Spain. We had a Christmas card from her, she is now remarried and living in Dronfield.

Thanks to everybody, I'm getting a lot of answers to some of my query's, I am still asking, if anybody remembers the huge slide made from ' Wartime Anderson Shelter Galvanised Sheeting,' this would be mid to late forties? The 'Star' took pictures, so I suppose there would be some evidence somewhere if a person knew where to look, this all took place on the tip beside Cyclops St. Does anybody remember 'Gordon Megson?' He lived with his mom and grandmother on Margate St, although there street address actually was Grimesthorpe Rd. They were a lovely family and his mother was a terrific person. Without wishing to offend or embarrass anyone, in the next yard to them was a young girl who died from Diphtheria her name was 'Peggy Broad.' Why I mention it, is because we all went Grimesthorpe Juniors at that time, Peggy would have been a pre-teen, I can still remember her pretty looks, I've got to say she is the only child that I can remember personally losing her life to an illness like that.

FLEETWOOD I can not remember the slide i was borne in 1947 but i can remember a ronnei broad who lived on grimesthore rd with his mother and grandmother and there back door went into a yard on margate st mick sharman stewart hall and dave prosser lived on margate st did you know paul dunn and mick martin who lived on cyclops st thy were a bit older than me take care

Thanks IVANDARRELL, your a bit younger, you could'nt remember the item about the slide, I recall a Dunn family, I seem to think they had 4 or 5 kids, maybe a couple of them were closer in age to us. You mention Ronnie Broad, that had to be a brother of the girl I mentioned. The other names you mentioned does'nt ring any bells with me.

Good Day Fleetwood The Dunn Family Was Mr And Mrs Kids Phyliss/jean/pete/paul/margaret/marie/pat/david/susan And A Black Dog Called ****** Did You Know Roy Neville Of Grimesthorpe Rd He Kept Pigeons On That Wast Ground Across The Road John And Roy Butler Plaed Footbell With Us Were Whiteways School Is Now Was Mick Martin In Your Class Do You Remember Any Of The Stocks Family On Grimesthorpe Rd And The Pickerrings

Does Anyone Know What Happened To The Lads From Cyclops St And Around Who Played Football On Cookis Field Before Whiteways Schoolwas Built There Here Are Some Names John And Roy Butler/les Timms And His Brother/mick Andtony Martin/phil And Glyn Ward/mick Ward Not Related/bernard Ward Nr/amid Cassim/roy Neville/bob Hinchcliffe/frank Higgins/dave Swain/dave Drabble/paul Deakin/mick Slinn Terry Marples/bob Pickering Alan West/john Hancock /dave Jarvis Bob Swellow If I Have Forgotten Anybody Sorry

Hi IVANDARRELL Second time doing this, is'nt it maddening when it does'nt go through. I think I remember the 'Dunns' moving into Cyclops st. Some of the other names are not ringing bells, I seem to remember 'Stocks' who had some older lads,older than me at the time. The 'Pickerings' lived in what was once a butchers shop store front with a house attached, situated at the corner of Botham St, when you talk large family, theirs was large, 13 kids as I recall. When you talk about pigeon fanciers, there were a lot about at that time. 'Peter Gill' who lived on Botham St North, kept pigeons on the spare ground behind his house. In the 'Butler' family I was closer in age to 'Shirley' than the other kids. Ta Ta for now.

Does Anyone Know What Happened To The Lads From Cyclops St And Around Who Played Football On Cookis Field Before Whiteways Schoolwas Built There Here Are Some Names bob Hinchcliffe

Hi ivandarrell, Bob Hinchcliffe is a distant relation,(his mom & my mom were cousins). He lives about 20 doors away from me at Richmond, he is now driving coaches

Archived