Cyclops Street in the 1920s

hello love thats thats the name they know me by paul may have called me some other names when he worked with me no there two good kids the last time i saw paul was last year he was home after taking the dogs far a walk i think one of tere lads was going or gone in the army heres another one far you sheia one of kays sister married ken longley and karan went out with my brother in law graham did you now that lad that got killed on spital st only came out of N G H last week after being stabbed 7 times he was 17yrs old p s i know terry and von though graham keep in touch bye

hello love thats thats the name they know me by paul may have called me some other names when he worked with me no there two good kids the last time i saw paul was last year he was home after taking the dogs far a walk i think one of tere lads was going or gone in the army heres another one far you sheia one of kays sister married ken longley and karan went out with my brother in law graham did you now that lad that got killed on spital st only came out of N G H last week after being stabbed 7 times he was 17yrs old p s i know terry and von though graham keep in touch bye

hi darrell,paul/kay only have one son hes in the fire brigade,the sister you mean married keith bullimore but divorced now shes fine see her regular.whats grahams surname ust know him.tara

• 5 years later...
The numbers actually went up to 58, onthe right hand side, the two houses on their own right at the top. The family at the top house no 58, were called Knowles, the kids were, Peter, Maurice, and Marilin.

I'm Marilynn Faser nee Knowles both my brothers have passed. The Dysons lived next door to us on Cyclops Street. I have just made contact with Sue Gillot nee Whittiker. I am in contact with Linda Burgin nee Ward her brother Michael passed Christmas day he was same age as me. Iremember nearly all the names mentioned on here.

Hi Dido

I had to smile when you wrote about a return visit to Cyclops Street and didn't realise how small it was.

I often go past the area in Owlerton where I was brought up and I always think the same thoughts.

I did read where the builders and planners were given the remilt to organise the building of houses so that the maximum returns on rents was achieved by building as many houses on the land.

Mind you they were only built to house the workers and so it didn't matter how many people were packed into an area living cheek by jowl.

The positive side was the goodness and the community spirit that developed, things that money cannot buy.

Happy Days! PopT

Archived