Playing "Tiggy"

Granny

Does anyone remember that, when playing 'tig' (or 'tiggy' as we used to call it) many years ago - I'm talking 50s here! there was a word you could use to take a temporary respite from the game, I seem to remember you had to cross your fingers when you said it and it meant that you couldn't be 'tug' until you re-entered the game. I'm sure there was something but no-one I have asked can remember and I think I may be going mad ........ ha ha!!

Does anyone remember that, when playing 'tig' (or 'tiggy' as we used to call it) many years ago - I'm talking 50s here! there was a word you could use to take a temporary respite from the game, I seem to remember you had to cross your fingers when you said it and it meant that you couldn't be 'tug' until you re-entered the game. I'm sure there was something but no-one I have asked can remember and I think I may be going mad ........ ha ha!!

Taking a stab through the mists of time here but was it "times" ?

No I think it was just "Tig", someone had to hide, can't remember just how it was played though.

I do remember we did Handstands up against the wall, the one who could stay up the longest and have the redest (purple) face won :) and our skirts would come right over our heads, knickers showing and all, no one thought anything of it back then, but why should they, our knickers were those thick green things !!

In the seventies we used to say 'kings' while crossing our fingers in order to indicate we were taking 'time out' (in modern parlance!) from the game.

We also used to generally nominate an area of playground to be 'den' where you could go and stand without getting tigged.

In the seventies we used to say 'kings' while crossing our fingers in order to indicate we were taking 'time out' (in modern parlance!) from the game.

We also used to generally nominate an area of playground to be 'den' where you could go and stand without getting tigged.

We'd say "queens", when playing tiggy in the 1960s and 70's. (same thing, though)

We played all sorts of tiggy-games:-

tiggy-off-t'ground (you couldn't be "tigged" if you were above ground level ie on a step or a wall...)

tiggy lamppost (if you got "tigged" you had to stad with your arms out, and your legs splayed - like doing star-jumps- and had to be freed by someone crawling through your legs!)

tiggy-ball... speaks for itself:- you had to hit someone with a thrown tennis ball, in order to "tig" them. quite hard to do when they were running about! lol)

can anyone remember any other versions of "Tig"? I'm sure

Wow plain talker, your memory is fantastic. I have seen several posts where you have recalled things from childhood - I seem to have forgotten more than I remember :hihi: :hihi:

We played tiggy, tiggy-off-t'ground and tiggy-ball.

We also played using a tennis ball in an old stocking (if your mum would let you have one!!). We used to stand with backs against the wall and swing the stocking so the ball bounced off the wall to a rhyme which went:

OK penny apacket

first you chew it

then you smack

then you stick it in your jacket

Or something like that :confused:

Wow plain talker, your memory is fantastic. I have seen several posts where you have recalled things from childhood - I seem to have forgotten more than I remember :hihi: :hihi:

We played tiggy, tiggy-off-t'ground and tiggy-ball.

We also played using a tennis ball in an old stocking (if your mum would let you have one!!). We used to stand with backs against the wall and swing the stocking so the ball bounced off the wall to a rhyme which went:

OK penny apacket

first you chew it

then you smack

then you stick it in your jacket

Or something like that :confused:

I remember the tennis ball in an old stocking/ tights-leg, but I don't remember the rhyme that went with it.

the only comments I remember that went with that game was

"Oi gee-ower wi thee, bangin' that ball on't wall or tha'll catch a coppitt!"

Archived