Night Out in Ranmoor / Broomhill

mahonia

A group of us are having a night out next week, we are wanting to start at the Fulwood Inn and finish up in Broomhill, any good pubs & curry houses?:help:

Make sure you include The Fox & Duck at Broomhill on your trip. Best pint of Abbeydale 'Moonshine' in Sheffield.

Start at the Ranmoor Inn and skip the Fulwood Inn entirely - it's rubbish.

Don't believe Darkoak - if you want Moonshine, you have to go to the Union in Nether Edge. The quality is second to none.

I've lived in Broomhill for 18 years and as much as I like it, it's not because of the pubs which are all pretty second-rate. The best of a bad bunch for me is the Tavern.

As for food:

Avoid Balti King.

Thyme is not a curry house.

Bahn Nah in Broomhill is unbeatable.

However, if you want Indian curry, you'd be better off going up to Crookes to the Indian Chef. En route you could drop in to the Grindstone, the Ark or the Cobden View.

This is the area I grew up in and the pubs which I am (some might say, over-) familiar with!

It might be worth your while starting in Nethergreen at The Rising Sun. This was my local (1987-1999) and used to be a John Smith's house. It is now run by the Abbeydale Brewery and has a wonderful, ever-changing selection of their real ales. There's also a decent range of draught lagers (Bitberger Pils) and bottled beers.

It's also a quiet pub - no musak ruining your drink - so it's an ideal place to start your pub crawl.

The Bull's Head. Decent pub with decent enough range of beers. Usually has sports on their large screen. You might be best avoiding and going to the Ranmoor Inn instead. Their beers have been very impressive lately. It's also a nice traditional pub with little fires and comfy settees.

The Fulwood Inn is fine (despite randolf's opinion). It can be a little too quiet at times, but it's large, has a pool table and serves brilliant cider. This is still my usual all-day-Sunday haunt (not every Sunday you understand) and is an okay pub (although it's time for a bit of a refurb IMO).

As for Broomhill, my favourite pub is still the Fox and Duck - best pint of Magnet (probably the only) in the region. The York is horrible these days, totally ruined to cater for students - at the behest of Sheffield it seems - as is the South Sea which used to be the 'pub to avoid' in Broomhill. That reputation would appear to have gone, along with all the locals.

The Nottingham House doesn't seem to know what type of pub it wants to be and at the time of writing I'm barred from the Tavern, which is a shame as I actually like the place.

As for curry houses, all I can say is don't go near Balti King. In fact, Ranmoor Tandoori is pretty reliable although it's a b.y.o. (which isn't too bad; there's a Thresher next door so you can choose exactly what you want to drink).

Maybe you'd be better starting in Broomhill and working your way towards Ranmoor?

However, if you want Indian curry, you'd be better off going up to Crookes to the Indian Chef. En route you could drop in to the Grindstone, the Ark or the Cobden View.

I used to love Indian Chef but the past few times I've been I've been disappointed. All the curries seem to be ridiculously oily now, I don't know whether they've got a new chef or something. It's a real pity as Indian Chef is the only curry house I've been to where you can drink real ale with your meal due to the fact they let you bring a pint over from the Ball pub over the road (and even take the glasses back for you!).

The York is horrible these days, totally ruined to cater for students - at the behest of Sheffield it seems - as is the South Sea which used to be the 'pub to avoid' in Broomhill. That reputation would appear to have gone, along with all the locals.

too right, NO CASK ALES!! They cater only for alcopop kids and nothing else....the bar staff have not a clue what "real ale" is and when I last went in to York earlier this year and asked if they were planning to get any real ale on, I got offered a bottle of out of date :gag: Carlsberg!!!! not a clue.........

too right, NO CASK ALES!! They cater only for alcopop kids and nothing else....the bar staff have not a clue what "real ale" is and when I last went in to York earlier this year and asked if they were planning to get any real ale on, I got offered a bottle of out of date :gag: Carlsberg!!!! not a clue.........

The York was my first 'local' 21 years ago when it was a Stones House. I actually drunk Tennant's (and lime!) in the beginning but would soon cotton onto the pleasures of bitter.

I had a most magnificent pint (two infact) of Bombardier at the Chequers pub, Froggat Edge, yesterday. Gosh, that was bliss - as was the pint of Strongarm I wolfed down in your place the previous Wednesday.

Real Ale. Yahoo.:thumbsup:

Ranmoor inn does the best Moonshine full stop!. Start at RIsing sun, then Ranmoor inn. I dont rate the Ranmoor Tandoori much. All the currys seem to taste the same and im positive my mushroom & lamb curry got the mushroom bit of its name courtesy of a few tinned mushrooms. Still its always busy & not all that bad just not all that good either

The York was my first 'local' 21 years ago when it was a Stones House. I actually drunk Tennant's (and lime!) in the beginning but would soon cotton onto the pleasures of bitter.

Wow I used to drink there in the mid 80's as well......when it was full of students and locals who mixed together really well......never liked STONES bitter but the Carling Black Label was ace (in the days before they took away all the flavour and fizzed it right up, and decided it should be served at minus 500 degrees C)

Archived