Floodlights at Bramall Lane.

melv

They went mysteriously, one by one and without making any noise whatsoever!

As the ground has been developed, the pylons have been replaced by lighting situated above the main stands. I recall there being 5 pylons: corner of Kop/South Stand; corner of South Stand/Bramall Lane; corner of Bramall Lane/John Street. There was a pylon placed on the roof of the John Street Stand above the Welcome To Bramall Lane sign. And the fifth pylon was at the corner of John Street/the Kop.

You could hear them fizz as they were turned on. The first to go will have been at the Kop end. The new stand opened in 1990. Then I guess the John Street pylon in the middle of the stand will have been demolished along with that stand - 1995? The Bramall Lane/John Street one will have been dismantled when they filled in that corner of the ground and finally, the South Street/Bramall Lane one will have been dismantled to fill in that corner, although it might have gone at the same time as the Bramall Lane/John Street one was removed.

Looking out for floodlights on away matches is a bit of a thing in the past although I'd guess lower league grounds still have them. All the better stadia have their floodlights attached to the roofs of the main stands.

Archived