1975 Sheffield Invasion

I moved here in 1975 as part of the huge North drift of the South when commercial property and house prices in Sheffield were dirt cheap and rates were very low. Thousands of London basedMidland bank staff came up from London and SOuth East, as did other banks and finance companies. On our road THE RIDGE at Redmires every single house was bought by Midland Bank staff from the South East...it was like a private club. There were similar new roads and developments in Dore, Ecclesall and Fulwood, all bought up by Midland Bank staff moving to Sheffield. We paid £22K for a 5 bedroomed "mansion" it seemed like, having sold a 3 bedroomed tiny place in Kent for the same price.

Anyone else from the SOuth East on this forum who falls into the category of the 1975 Midland Bank (et al)"immigration" to Sheffield. There were thousands of us.......

It was the same in 81 when the Civil Servise MSC came to Sheffield from London.

They made a killing, and why not.

Its a big decision to move North from the South.

The Ridge at the top of one of the toughest hills i ever climb on my bicycle must be worth a fortune now.

Similar situation when Norwich Union opened offices in Sheffield about 10 years ago. Loads of people arrived and were suprised to find quite a nice city full of friendly educated people.

The video they had been shown by the company to entice them up here was awful. black, industrial, flat caps and whippets. As a sheffield'er born and bred I was disgusted when i saw the sterotypes used in the video, complaints were made and they stopped using it. It just stayed in the cupboard and later just came out at christmas for a laugh!

People still came to sheffield though despite the video, because they were redundant otherwise..

Not many of them left today though, most gradually fled back to norfolk over the years......

Originally posted by LoopyLou

Similar situation when Norwich Union opened offices in Sheffield about 10 years ago. Loads of people arrived and were suprised to find quite a nice city full of friendly educated people.

The video they had been shown by the company to entice them up here was awful. black, industrial, flat caps and whippets. As a sheffield'er born and bred I was disgusted when i saw the sterotypes used in the video, complaints were made and they stopped using it. It just stayed in the cupboard and later just came out at christmas for a laugh!

Do you still have it? If so I would like to convert it and host it on a web site for us all to have a laugh at!

Archived