Alpine pop man!

mindyw

SYDS pop..South yorkshire direct supplies..independent taken over by Alpine,no connection to Hagues.

Charles Hague and sons based in Parkgate ,Rotherham family owned from start to finish.

I worked for them all. Hagues is the best firm I ever worked for. Nigel Hague,Williams father,A real gentleman,no airs or graces where his staff were concerned.

Thanks for that I was a bit confused :thumbsup:

I certainly remember us getting first SYDS (smallish bottles) and then Alpine (bigger bottles) :)

we never had them on parsons cross but whenever was at aunties on Manor they came, seem to remember them on a flat bed lorry that was a kinda green colour, some flavours even in late 70's were strange

They used to deliver to us on Wordsworth, Blast from the Past :)

Thanks for that I was a bit confused :thumbsup:

I certainly remember us getting first SYDS (smallish bottles) and then Alpine (bigger bottles) :)

To answer a few of the posts , Alpine was national , I worked for them at the Rotherham depot from 1977 to 1982 having stints at Middlesboro and Woolitch depots. It was on Hope st Thornhill and the local boozer was the Thornhill Tavern. Stan Crew was the guy who started it all from the midlands. He knew what he was doing built it up and flogged it then it went belly up in the mid 80s. The turn over of staff was unbelievable , I was a supervisor and forever training new Drivers and Van lads. I also worked with Corona and Sundella soft drinks.

John

Just Googling around I found this "Soft drinks that went flat" site http://tv.cream.org/specialassignments/bestbefore/arkcrest2.htm with some rather nice comments about Alpine: It was always delivered by hard kids, who used to hang off the van, and leg it round in huge oxford bags, and mashed up two- tone big heeled shoes.

also Hague's, Corona: "Every bubble's passed its FIZZical!" yelped the Ernie Bilko-voiced Head Bubble (see above) in the cartoon ads for this knobbly-bottled orangeade"

and others.

Back in the mid-1960s I remember fruit-flavoured pop called "Orangillo" and "Lemonillo" (slogan "four times fruitier") which came in odd-shaped bottles. They can't have lasted long and there is little about them on Google apart from a "coaster" that didn't sell on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320257526166

• 2 weeks later...
anyone remember them?used to have really good flavours that were unusaual at the time,pineappleade and cherryade and stuff...

OMG Alpine

Me and my sister lived in Woodseats and Pineappleade was my favourite and american cream soda was my sisters.

I also remember being able to get money back on 'Barrs' pop bottles from shop

Archived