Which were your favourite acts at the Mojo

feederfil

Which were your favourite acts at the Mojo ? I liked a lot of acts that I saw there e.g Georgie Fame,Geno Washington,Alan Bown Set,Graham Bond,Zoot Moneyand lots more!My favourite singer from that time though and his voice was just unbelievable was Billy [Fay Boy] Stewart ! What a waste of talent to have died so young ! Can anyone remember groups like Amboy Dukes ,Love and Confusion ? They say that if you lived through the Sixties ,you find it hard to remember them!I just know it was such an exciting era with something new happening every week!

Is that Phil Brodie the lead guitarist from Love and Confusion? If not I was with all the band members a couple of months ago at a reunion of some sixties old folks!!

It was the Small Faces. The Faces didn't exist until 1970, by which time the Mojo club was long gone. In fact, the Small Faces played their first ever gig at the Mojo. .

Sorry to "Burst Your Bubble" GEDDIT, but this is a bit of an urban myth. The Small Faces had been playing gigs for a while without real success but one night in Sheffield they played at a working mens club near the Midland station/Queens Road area and got thrown out without finishing the set. The band were on the verge of quitting the business but saw mods queuing to get into the ESQUIRE CLUB, spoke to the manager and played a set that night.

The rest is history.

Fourth member at that time was Jimmy Winstone who was replaced by Ian McLagen a few weeks later when Don Arden took over the management.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Sorry to "Burst Your Bubble" GEDDIT, but this is a bit of an urban myth. The Small Faces had been playing gigs for a while without real success but one night in Sheffield they played at a working mens club near the Midland station/Queens Road area and got thrown out without finishing the set. The band were on the verge of quitting the business but saw mods queuing to get into the ESQUIRE CLUB, spoke to the manager and played a set that night.

The rest is history.

Fourth member at that time was Jimmy Winstone who was replaced by Ian McLagen a few weeks later when Don Arden took over the management.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi Andy

You are absolutely right pity though I would only be 56 or 57 if they in fact hadn't have started until 1970 rather than 60 this year!! Hey old Mods never die!!!.....Hopefully not before 80 anyway!!

Tony

Hi Andy

You are absolutely right pity though I would only be 56 or 57 if they in fact hadn't have started until 1970 rather than 60 this year!! Hey old Mods never die!!!.....Hopefully not before 80 anyway!!

Tony[/QUOTe

Sorry Andy miss read your response!! Old age and senility creeping in....but you are still absolutely right about The Esquire. Mojo Tuesday + Thursday Esquire Friday Wheel for Allnighters Saturday unless there was one at the Mojo!!

[Tony[/QUOTe

Sorry Andy miss read your response!! Old age and senility creeping in....but you are still absolutely right about The Esquire. Mojo Tuesday + Thursday Esquire Friday Wheel for Allnighters Saturday unless there was one at the Mojo!!

Hi Tony,

Mojo, Twisted Wheel and Dungeon allnighters. Do we know eachother? I'm a couple of years younger than you but same scene same time.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

sorry tony there definately were benches at the front when I used to go 1961/2/3/4. never went to the esquire though. club 60 was the other venue I frequented.

Hi Oldiegirl,

Obviously some confusion here. The Mojo was not open in 61/2/3. May have opened late 64 but I thought 65.

Andyman

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi again, just in case anyone is remotely interested I have found my past by paging the oracle of the photo album. from 62 it was concerts at the City Hall, autographs to prove it. 65 mojo combined with following groups to church hall dances then pubs and cutlers hall saturday night.

66 began the rounds of holidays without family.

phew that was close thought old age had set in.

As mentioned earlier in this thread steve marriott of the small faces was one of the most popular performers at the mojo and today the 30th of january would have been his 63rd birthday , so may i say "happy birthday steve " you were responsible for some great tunes with influanced a lot of following acts and stand the test of time , and if you don,t agree with me " whatcha gonna do about it ! "

Archived