Poor handwriting- any cures?

I think the best place to start is how you hold your pen and how hard you press on.

Where can I find a picture of how to hold it best?

Is it normal for the entire edge of the hand & little finger to be resting on the paper?:)

I was taught to type at an early age, cos "they" said I'd never be able to do "joined up" writing :loopy:

Nowadays people regularly comment on how neat my writing is, score 1 to me and boo ya to the so called "experts" :hihi:

I write differently with Fountain pens and Biros- i hate biros.

Using a fountain pen, its more in italics and larger- joined up

biro is generally sans serif and a bit of a mess

Pencil just depends on my mood

I love writing :D

Having cracked the joke earlier, my own handwriting is known to be almost illegible at times to other people, so I do type out most things if it is important.

My writing gets noticeable worse as I write quicker, and I simply can't write that quickly.

Different pens do make a difference; biros are worst for me; fountain pens are best, partly because they force me to write slower and more carefuly in order to avoid smudging (I'm a leftie who writes with hand in a 'hook' shape).

Cursive writing was only developed in order to work around quill pens which would blot when lifted from the paper, and so joined up writing was born, where the pen was lifted from the paper as little as possible.

I prefer to write in a style which doesn't join up letters but in block print. I find I can write as fast in that style as in joined up. I am fastest at typing and usually write even my shopping lists on the computer :hihi:

If you would like to improve your handwriting style, then there a few websites which do practice sheets or caligraphy lessons. You can choose the style which suits you best.

http://www.margaretshepherd.com/weekly-lesson/weekly-lesson.html

http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/

• 3 years later...

Practice makes perfect.

I write a lot, which is why I think my handwriting has stayed nice throughout the years. I couldn't really suggest holding your pen correctly, as I'm left handed so I don't (although I don't hold my hand completely curled round, as some left handers do). If I held my pen in the 'correct' manner, my writing would be a real state.

I wish I could use fountain pens but I just end up with a smudged page and ink all over my hand, so I stick to biro, which I find easy to write with. I know a lot of people hate using a biro pen though - it just depends what you feel most comfortable with.

Archived