Some questions about old Sheffield.

The sheffield parkway was built on land which was reserved from building for decades before, because they knew there would be a big road planned in the near future. Adjacent housing estates, Manor/Handsworth/parkhill were built long before the road was built.

However it was originally planned to go to Aston where junction 31 of the M1 now is, because they thought that the M1 would carry on north where the M18 now is. ....................now mosborough parkway is built along the old original reserved route.

Just for interest, before living memory there was a coalmine at the bottom of 'The Moor'.

There may have been others which left tunnels raised in another post on the forum.

Happy Days!

There are literally hundeds of unmapped and forgotten coal mines, and other mines all over the area. When they built the M1 they had to sink cores every few yards to check for hidden fissures and mineworkings long forgotten, to prevent later erosion.

<snippitty>

The first section of the Parkway opened when the Wholesale Fruit and Veg Market moved to the Parkway from Castlefolds - late 50's -early 60's. The first section (one lane each way) ran from Manor Lane to Handsworth. There was no underpass at Prince of Wales Road (PoW) or flyover at Handsworth Road.

my uncle worked on the concreting of the roundabout at POW rd in the very early 1970s

Just for interest, before living memory there was a coalmine at the bottom of 'The Moor'.

There may have been others which left tunnels raised in another post on the forum.

Happy Days!

Hi,

There must have been quite a few pits in town. Cambridge Street was only rename to mark a visit by the Duke of Cambridge (One of Queen Victoria's sons) in the late 19th century. Before that, it was called Coal Pit Lane.

I was told that for many years, buildings in Sheffield were restricted in height (and obviously loading) because nobody was quite sure what was down below. Exploratory drilling wasn't around then.

Before the University Arts Tower was built, a lot of core samples were taken to ensure good conditions ie. no collapsed or partially collapsed mine workings underneath or other geological anomalies.

Regards

Nunnery must have been the mine my dad worked at pre 39 came fm some mine near Worksop, move to Sheffield and down a Sheffield mine,the war changed everything because he went on to building crane's for the rest of his career.even Adolf did some good

How did you manage with outside toilets in this sort of weather?

Most people had outside toilets.Some of the older generation pre 1930s actually didn"t like the idea of an inside loo.Not even in the porch like ours was. They thought it was very unhygienic,So much so that some refused to have them for many years,saying,"I"m not "avin that muck in MY "ouse!"

Hi,

The Nunnery Colliery had enormous spoil heaps - right at the end of Cricket Inn Road where it joined Manor Lane.

On the opposite corner of the junction was a factory called Stead's. They made small tools: things such as screw drivers with plastic handles.

Coming back up Cricket Inn Road - towards town - was an Engineering Company called S.A.Ward and next to them was Henry Matthews Transport.

Does anybody remember any of this ?

Regards

Here's a scan from my 1961 OS map of the area from Sheffield to Handsworth:

http://s192798389.websitehome.co.uk/files/map.jpg

There's also a good street map here of the area around Park Square:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/s/sheffield_victoria/sheffield_victoria_map.gif

Thank you so much for those - that's exactly what I wanted to see, as I couldn't really imagine where the streets where that were swept away to make way for the new layout. I take it that Granville Street, behind the railway station, is where the tram runs now? Also, where on that map was the Corn Exchange?

Archived