Some questions about old Sheffield.

the ibis hotel is sited in the old warehouse building, at the rear of the chinese buffet isn't it? next door to the pub on the corner of dixon lane/ Shude hill?

the photo shows the old rag-n-tag market, on the left, (sigh, memories) and it is indeed taken with one's back to what is now the park square roundabout.

Isn't this a photo of Dixon Lane looking towards Waingate?

Yeah, pretty much, but most people have heard of Park Sq, and the big hotels.

Although it's labelled as Broad St on the site, the main bit in the picture has now been named Broad St West.

to Plain Talker You say in your comment, the pub on the bottom corner of Dixon Lane,and Shude Hill. I have to disagree Dixon Lane Quite right But Shude Hill was a short street that ran from behind the old Post office buildings down to the bottom of Commercial St It came outby the side of the old Electric Light Comany officers The Wybourn and Woodthorpe buses came down that way

Just for interest, before living memory there was a coalmine at the bottom of 'The Moor'.

There may have been others which left tunnels raised in another post on the forum.

Happy Days!

There was a mine between the Manor and Woodthorpe. This has been documented in many other threads.

tBut Shude Hill was a short street that ran from behind the old Post office buildings down to the bottom of Commercial St It came outby the side of the old Electric Light Comany officers The Wybourn and Woodthorpe buses came down that way

Are you thinking of Shude lane which joined with Wheel hill and came out at the bottom of Commercial street onto Sheaf street ? Shude hill was as PT says - running from the bottom of Dixon lane to bottom of Bakers hill where you would turn left onto Shude lane.

I'm looking at a 1905 street map but I don't think much had changed by the 1950s apart from the joining of Flat street to Pond street and the steps on Bakers hill when the new PO was built.

Yes friend, you are perfectly right. I was wrong in my remarks I was not aware that Shude Hill carried on past the Gas comany (stores) to the bottom of Dixon Lane My excuse ?? I was working from memory and it ai'nt so good these days I'ii check on the name of the Pub and let you know

Just for interest, before living memory there was a coalmine at the bottom of 'The Moor'.

There may have been others which left tunnels raised in another post on the forum.

Happy Days!

we unearthed the mine working tunnels in 71 / 72 while digging the footings for sainsbries,the coal strike was on and the contractor said any coal belonged to him,we still took lumps of it home though,longdons did most of the work on that site at the bottom of the moor

the ibis hotel is sited in the old warehouse building, at the rear of the chinese buffet isn't it? next door to the pub on the corner of dixon lane/ Shude hill?

the photo shows the old rag-n-tag market, on the left, (sigh, memories) and it is indeed taken with one's back to what is now the park square roundabout.

The Ibis is a brand new building. The warehouse was demolished prior to The Ibis being built. The pub on the corner is The Norfolk Arms. Before I retired I worked in the Head Post Office.

Archived