Gatecrasher - who used to go?

bensonhedges

It was definitely the best night of my life too, even the chill out room was too packed to chill out, even though it was outside!! Where did you used to stand to dance, I was either near to the stage or stood on the balcony at the left, god what an atmosphere, everyone used to be sooo nice, I don't think the kids today will ever understand the meaning of clubbing!!

I used to dance in that bit...(the balcony)

it was really dark. Remember having some well random conversations woith others up there

sheffield used to have it all, gatecrasher, rise, bed and most recently - 3/4yrs ago funky fridays, what on earth ahs happened to all the good funky nights ? where everyon used to be up for the music, now loads of 'clubs' i go to that are nothing more than bars with DJs have so much attitude ! maybe it is no coincidence that most places play more RnB rubbish and house music is dying off....................

so come on lets re-live house music !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personnally in my time have traveled up and down the UK and in fact around Europe clubbing and loved every mnute of it, maybe im getting old(er) but it really does seem bobins at the moment and we have rubbish pushed down our throughts all the time and £10 to get in ! get real !

The reason why places play R&B is because people find R&B a lot more commercially viable. They are NOT playing real R&B. Please do not think for a second that clubs are catering just to a R&B crowd because in the reality of things R&B is still not catered for in Sheffield properly. I still believe that house is at a cross roads stage and re-inventing it self. There was an over kill of house nights in the 90's and R&B was pushed back then.

by the way R&B, funk, disco.....House comes from R&B !!!!!!!

Actually your post agreed with mine!

Was it "Ahead"?

Anyway.. Scott Bond had been a well known part of an established night (GC) and had a great reputation with his target audience (people who'd got disillusioned with the changes to GC). If someone with his reputation hadnt been involved - I'm not so sure it would have worked so well - even with the same DJ line ups.

What happened to it once it moved to Brum? I've got afeeling it didnt last too long - but coud be wrong?

Yea, Ahead it was. After moving to Brum i believe the focus was to go more with the Breaks, Electro side of things as they felt they had a good following for it down there. At the Adelphi, They had worked really hard to please the clubbers through the forum and give them what they wanted. The only thing was, this meant bringing in their own sound system and lighting to make it credible. They were also trying to keep the ticket price to £12 and with a mix of big name DJ's on every event i don't think it was viable.

Im pretty sure that they ended up having problems filling the clubs in Brum or securing a venue and in the end they went into Liquidation.

The 1st Ahead has to be one of the best club nights i ever went too. Great mix of big DJ's cross genres and a UK Debut and possibly only set so far in the UK for Yahel, what a beast it was, and there was space to move on the dance floor... :o)

Yea, Ahead it was. After moving to Brum i believe the focus was to go more with the Breaks, Electro side of things as they felt they had a good following for it down there. At the Adelphi, They had worked really hard to please the clubbers through the forum and give them what they wanted. The only thing was, this meant bringing in their own sound system and lighting to make it credible. They were also trying to keep the ticket price to £12 and with a mix of big name DJ's on every event i don't think it was viable.

Im pretty sure that they ended up having problems filling the clubs in Brum or securing a venue and in the end they went into Liquidation.

The 1st Ahead has to be one of the best club nights i ever went too. Great mix of big DJ's cross genres and a UK Debut and possibly only set so far in the UK for Yahel, what a beast it was, and there was space to move on the dance floor... :o)

yep agreed was a very good night, and very well put together, again personaly it puts the current sheffield promoters to shame

sheffield used to have it all, gatecrasher, rise, bed and most recently - 3/4yrs ago funky fridays, what on earth ahs happened to all the good funky nights ? where everyon used to be up for the music, now loads of 'clubs' i go to that are nothing more than bars with DJs have so much attitude ! maybe it is no coincidence that most places play more RnB rubbish and house music is dying off....................

so come on lets re-live house music !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personnally in my time have traveled up and down the UK and in fact around Europe clubbing and loved every mnute of it, maybe im getting old(er) but it really does seem bobins at the moment and we have rubbish pushed down our throughts all the time and £10 to get in ! get real !

blame the amount of coke in clubs for that

• 3 weeks later...
I know it's a long time ago now but was anyone on here a Gatecrasher regular in the early days? I'm talking The Arches or Adelphi, before the corporate S1 2DJ days. I'm talking Sister Bliss and Tin Tin Out and other such DJ'S. Is it my imagination or were they the times of our lives? Will it always be with you? And furthermore, does anyone have any mixtapes?

I have a mix tape somewhere, it's the end of sasha playing at gatecrasher at the arches in aug 1995, bit annoying cos the tape ends before the very last tune he played, higher state by josh wink, though how i remember that...... i'll try and get it from the tape to mp3. I had a copy of dave seamen playing aswell, he did this mad hard set before playing a mix of bruce hornsby! That got stolen from my mates car though.

Those were the times of our lives, i've never been anywhere before or since that compares with the arches. gatecrasher, subway, headcharge, remedy. met my partner there..... now it's going to be a bypass or soemthing!

Archived