Solicitors you would recommend for conveyancing? Megathread NO QUOTES

Nickcc

We have tried to instruct Graysons, not recieved any paperwork through the post, which they promised they would send, when my partner has called them to chase up the paperwork it's like we are a new enquirer and they know nothing of us. Seperately, I also enquired about instructing them for selling my house, the paperwork they were meant to send out to me several weeks ago now has not materialised.

At the moment I do not believe they are instructed for either purchase or sale (both are separate) as we have recieved nothing from them despite several requests from us to send paperwork out. I am dissapointed after having such a great experience with Nikki from there during a difficult purchase a few years ago.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have received a decent quote from Best Solicitors. £813 for Conveyancing and I a first time buyer buying a house for 125k.

Is this a good deal? Also, has anyone used Best Solicitors before and have an opinion on them?

Also, does anyone recommend any other Solicitors for first time buyers?

Thanks for the help

What does the £813 include and what does it exclude?

Ask them particularly about:

a. preliminary search fees;

b. Bank fees (CHAPS); and

c. HMLR registration fee- this alone is £190.

And is it a quotation for purchase work or purchase-and-mortgage work?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have checked this out and all the 3 things you have mentioned are included in the price.

Whats the difference between a purchase work and a purchase-and-mortgage work?

A solicitor acting on a combined transaction has to be accredited on the panel of the mortgagee [lender], treat the mortgagee as a client, and comply with its extra requirements. He or she cannot act for both if there is any conflict of interest or one arises.

umm i dont want to put a downer on them but i Know a person who is in limbo with them after six months of starting a sale.

I dont think they rush around unless you are driving them forward all the time.

its not surprising as i think they get a lot of other more urgent cases.

Conveyancing seems a low priority in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Just to bring up a old thread but we had the miss fortune of using best some 2years ago and ended up costing us dearly because they failed to do basic checks. Would advise anyone to stay clear. Used Wossko Brown on Attercliffe both for house and a legal matter and highly recommend