Lady's Bridge history

grahamwr

Im looking for any stories relating to Lady's Bridge at the top of The Wicker - not just the pub of that name but any info about the bridge and surrounding area. There used to be other pubs there too such as the elephant and castle - no idea when that was pulled down. Anything is of interest - personal or historical thanks

A picture her of the Elephant and Castle...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s07490

...which was demolished when Castlegate replaced the slaughter houses that ran along the riverside between Lady's Bridge and Blonk Bridge.

I did read somewhere that the original stonework of the medieval bridge is still in place - perhaps the stonework that can be seen in the photo HughW linked to.

Hi,

The masonry bridge is still there. This still carries the bulk of the traffic load today. The footpaths and a small section of road either side, are actually side-extensions to the old bridge and were probably added sometime in the late 19th century (see picturesheffield #photo. s07484). If you want to see all this, walk down the lane that runs along the east side of the river (to where Hancock and Lant had their business) and then look back at the bridge.

Not sure how old the present bridge is: maybe 18th or early 19th century. Obviously its not the first bridge, which was probably made of wood anway. Then there may have been another stone bridge at some time (most likley hump-backed), with a Lady Chapel - thats where the "Lady" came from. The chapel would either be on the bridge itself - like the one in Rotherham - or very close by.

Regards

Im looking for any stories relating to Lady's Bridge at the top of The Wicker - not just the pub of that name but any info about the bridge and surrounding area. There used to be other pubs there too such as the elephant and castle - no idea when that was pulled down. Anything is of interest - personal or historical thanks

Hi,

Remember the right bank of the Don - upstream from Lady's Bridge - was called Millsands. This area played a very important part in the industrial development of the city. You might also say that Millsands played an important part in the industrial development of Britain.

In 1828 George Naylor and his son in law, Edward Vickers, formed a partnership called Naylor, Vickers and Company in what was the developing bulk steel industry. The business did so well that Vickers bought his partner out and in 1864 moved his operation to Brightside and built the River Don Works (later to become the English Steel Corporation). It was also the nucleus of what became the giant Vickers Limited steel, shipbuilding and armament empire.

In 1830 or 32 (I have seen both dates quoted) David and Dennis Davy started an engineering works at Millsands under the name of Davy Brothers. they produced equipment for the steel industry and the occasional steam locomotive. The business prospered and by 1851/52 they had outgrown the Millsands site and moved there operation further down the right bank of the river to a place we now know as Norfolk Bridge. Here they established what became known as the Park Iron Works (PIW). This site also became too small and in the early 1920's they started to develop a new works in Darnall. The original PIW was eventually sold to the Tempered Spring Company in 1957. The works are still there - a relic from a bygone age.

On a personal note, I stated work at PIW one hundred years after the brothers first arrived (Jan 1952). By this time, the company was called Davy United.

There must have been other sucessful companies that first started at Millsands.

Regards

Hi,

Remember the right bank of the Don - upstream from Lady's Bridge - was called Millsands. This area played a very important part in the industrial development of the city. You might also say that Millsands played an important part in the industrial development of Britain.

In 1828 George Naylor and his son in law, Edward Vickers, formed a partnership called Naylor, Vickers and Company in what was the developing bulk steel industry. The business did so well that Vickers bought his partner out and in 1864 moved his operation to Brightside and built the River Don Works (later to become the English Steel Corporation). It was also the nucleus of what became the giant Vickers Limited steel, shipbuilding and armament empire.

In 1830 or 32 (I have seen both dates quoted) David and Dennis Davy started an engineering works at Millsands under the name of Davy Brothers. they produced equipment for the steel industry and the occasional steam locomotive. The business prospered and by 1851/52 they had outgrown the Millsands site and moved there operation further down the right bank of the river to a place we now know as Norfolk Bridge. Here they established what became known as the Park Iron Works (PIW). This site also became too small and in the early 1920's they started to develop a new works in Darnall. The original PIW was eventually sold to the Tempered Spring Company in 1957. The works are still there - a relic from a bygone age.

On a personal note, I stated work at PIW one hundred years after the brothers first arrived (Jan 1952). By this time, the company was called Davy United.

There must have been other sucessful companies that first started at Millsands.

Regards

Hi,

Sorry Falls, but I think Millsands was on the left bank of the Don as you look upstream,on the Brewery side.

Hi,

Sorry Falls, but I think Millsands was on the left bank of the Don as you look upstream,on the Brewery side.

Hi,

When identifying the "Left Bank" and "Right Bank" of a river, you are looking down stream (flow going away from you).

At least that's the rule we used in the hydroelectric power business.

Regards

• 1 year later...

Sorry this is late - am a relative newcomer and still reading through all old messages! As I understand it, the Sheaf joins the Don at Castlegate (you can see it emerging from a tunnel - the river is diverted underground from Granville Square and is presumably joined by the Porter somewhere near Midland Station). I was told that Blonk Street is from the French 'blanc' meaning white, and that there was probably a community of White Friars in the area in the middle ages. You probably know all this by now, anyway!

Archived