Favourite Old Sweets

kevd

As a kid in the sixties & seventies I remember:

Little pieces of yellow bubblegum in a small cloth drawstring bag that were meant to be pirate gold. Eventually the bottom of the bag used to become stained yellow.

Anglo Hi Blow bubblegum

Do you remember that Bazooka Joe bubbly had a transfer in it that you could lick and stick on your arm? They brought out a version that was a stick of bubblegum divided into five pieces with the idea being that you could break off a piece at a time. These didn't have a transfer in but had a comic strip on a piece of paper. We were dissappointed that when we licked it, it didn't peel off onto our arms.

There used to be a bubblegum machine (can't remember the name at the moment) that used to give you a bonus packet every 4th turn of the knob. We used to watch and wait to get a free packet if the person forgot about the extra turn!

Rainbow crystals that used to stain your finger after it had been dipped in and out of the packet and sucked a few times

Chocolate cigarettes covered in paper that you weren't sure if you should eat it or peel it off and chuck it away.

Barratts (Thunderbirds) Sweet cigarettes, that had a spot of red on the end to look like they were lit. They're called "Candy Sticks" nowadays. Kids with sweet cigarettes, not very P.C. even though as a kid I posed with them, puffed on them, even ate them, but was never tempted to try a real ciggy!

Floral gums,cherry lips and a few others still going.

Found another traditional sweet shop on the high st in dinnington.Me and my wife nearly got trampled on when the door swung open and hundreds of kids had turned out from school so we made aquick escape.

• 11 months later...
As a kid in the sixties & seventies I remember:

Little pieces of yellow bubblegum in a small cloth drawstring bag that were meant to be pirate gold. Eventually the bottom of the bag used to become stained yellow.

Anglo Hi Blow bubblegum

Do you remember that Bazooka Joe bubbly had a transfer in it that you could lick and stick on your arm? They brought out a version that was a stick of bubblegum divided into five pieces with the idea being that you could break off a piece at a time. These didn't have a transfer in but had a comic strip on a piece of paper. We were dissappointed that when we licked it, it didn't peel off onto our arms.

There used to be a bubblegum machine (can't remember the name at the moment) that used to give you a bonus packet every 4th turn of the knob. We used to watch and wait to get a free packet if the person forgot about the extra turn!

Rainbow crystals that used to stain your finger after it had been dipped in and out of the packet and sucked a few times

Chocolate cigarettes covered in paper that you weren't sure if you should eat it or peel it off and chuck it away.

Barratts (Thunderbirds) Sweet cigarettes, that had a spot of red on the end to look like they were lit. They're called "Candy Sticks" nowadays. Kids with sweet cigarettes, not very P.C. even though as a kid I posed with them, puffed on them, even ate them, but was never tempted to try a real ciggy!

"Beechnut" was the name of the bubblegum in machines which had a free packet every fourth turn.

This thread has brought back some memories, I never liked liquorice but I loved to buy sherbert fountains and just left the liquorice. I loved sherbert lemons and ten penny mixes without bubbly of course.

I was talking to someone the other day about the 5 flavour Fry's chocolate, which I absolutely loved, and they looked at me as though I was from another planet !! I am pleased that someone else remembers it.

Archived