Beginners female self defence classes

richo22

Hi,

Good for you looking out for your sis. Kapap/Krav Maga sounds a good choice, as does any system where she can train full contact.

Despite what someone has tried to say, an earlier poster was right in suggesting she not attend women only classes. They can be useful in attack avoidance - but not so in attack resistance.

There are some good tutors on this board, and if she goes to a few classes she can find what works for her; just make sure she avoids those classes where they show her clever wrist-locks and the like; try doing that outside a pub or in a darkened gennel after three weeks training, and she may as well phone for her ambulance beforehand.

As all the good tutors will say - I feel sure - awareness and avoidance is the best defence.

Luck to you,

Ade

Yawn, oh no I can see where this thread may end up going.

Judgeing by what I'm reading I'd be inclined to go to Kepap, or to ChiefKickers Kickboxing class (been to both, very good)

You, as a woman, have few advantages so you need to relax both in body and mind and wait for the moment to strike.

The moment you have that chance forget fancy high kicks and so on just get nasty.

A finger in the eye stops a bloke dead. Maybe not much damage but it hurts like hell and a blinded man can't chase you.(A finger in one eye makes both water and forces both to close.)

Same for a tenderised testicle. A weak but accurate attack will drop a six foot rapist like a sack of spuds.

Most men can take a fair bit of pain and still be able to hurt you but a man who can't see or walk is no danger.

Go to a class where there are men about and find a teacher who will show you how to disable a bloke and run off.

Plenty of ways to stop a bloke in all situation but the best is always to get away. If you can do it in one and run that can only improve your chance to get away unhurt.

The good old groin area. Small target unfortunately and also you can't always guarantee that your kick/knee will ALWAYS hit the spot. There are other targets such as the bladder and the solar plexus which are not that far from the groin mind you as well as the legs.

At AFK I teach people to land a strong leg kick or knee strike as a major incapacitating blow to either aid a KO from a punch/elbow/head or to give you time to get away.

If fighting was as simple as groin shots and eye gouging everyone would fight like the Three Stooges and big muscular types / boxers ,..etc would be on the losing end of most street fights.

The good old groin area. Small target unfortunately and also you can't always guarantee that your kick/knee will ALWAYS hit the spot. There are other targets such as the bladder and the solar plexus which are not that far from the groin mind you as well as the legs.

At AFK I teach people to land a strong leg kick or knee strike as a major incapacitating blow to either aid a KO from a punch/elbow/head or to give you time to get away.

If fighting was as simple as groin shots and eye gouging everyone would fight like the Three Stooges and big muscular types / boxers ,..etc would be on the losing end of most street fights.

have to agree with that.

I think virtually any martial artist would agree that the groin and the eyes don't stop all fights because they are very hard targets to hit (and something most people protect well).

It doesn't mean I want to do kick boxing, although to be honest if I had the time I might.

Archived