I sometimes have to pinch myself

skippy

I was sitting on the rocks overlooking the beach today & reminiscing about Sheffield, I remember thinking as a child how marvellous it would be to be on a deserted beach somewhere with the sun shining and the surf rolling in, that's the kind of life I have been living for the last 36 years.

The holidays we had when we lived in Sheffield, usually Blackpool because one of my brothers lives there, & Cleethorpes as I went every year with the Crookes club for the day trip as a youngun, are not a patch on what I see today.

The beaches are sandy, the ocean is a bluey green & the tide doesn't go out more than 30 yards,I thought to myself how lucky I really am to be in this position & sometimes have to pinch myself, thinking that I still may be dreaming.

After dinner this evening, we watched a BBC programme called Grumpy Old Holidays, it was just what I was thinking about earlier in the day, I've heard that a lot of English people go overseas these days for their holidays, where do you go for your holidays ? are there still people that go to Blackpool, Filey, etc, camping or with the caravan or the old boarding house places ?

you lucky devil..I went to Ozz and loved it i would live there too if only i was 30 ish.

I am from Sheffield and live a few miles from Blackpool and believe me its crap with a capital C. It has been allowed to run down and looks dingy in fact it hasnt changed at all for the better. Ironically it gets packed in the Summer and everything is top dollar. i feel for the parents who have to fork out for rides for the kiddies. Even a donkey ride lastin 3 or 4 minutes costs £3.

We tend to go to Italy and also have at least 1 holiday in France.

We always go to Tenerife in our winter usually in october and then again in March.

The Summer here last year was excellent but we dont get anything like your Sun and your light.

We're having a week in Beer, South Devon where I lived and worked for a year in '66. Plus a week touring in Pitlochry, Inverness area. A week in Killarney would be nice but need cash for extension to house but maybe next year. Abroad? No, been a few times. Novelty worn off.

Never really thought much about emigration until I spent a week in Melbourne on business in 2000

I am lucky to have had jobs which have sent me to quite a few countries, but Oz was like no place I have ever expeirenced before. I hired a car and drove up to Ballarat where some friends had moved to becasue of work a few years before - they had kept a house on back in the UK 'just in case' but there was no way i could see them ever coming back. My mate retired late last year and they came here for xmas but told me that they had decided to spend the rest of their years down under - and not back in the UK as originally planned.

During my time in Melbourne I kept ringing my wife saying that it was simply paradise - we had some talks about moving but family commitments and me being made redundant put any plans at the time to one side - now I am just too old for them to let me in!!

Hi Skippy, only me. As you know my hubby is a manager on the holiday parks so for us it would be a bit of a busmans holiday. To be honest i don't know how people afford to come to these places. The drinks in our bar are extortionate and nothing else comes cheap either. Having said that we are going to centerparcs in a couple of weeks and that not cheap either. Give me Florida anyday.

I was sitting on the rocks overlooking the beach today & reminiscing about Sheffield, I remember thinking as a child how marvellous it would be to be on a deserted beach somewhere with the sun shining and the surf rolling in, that's the kind of life I have been living for the last 36 years.

The holidays we had when we lived in Sheffield, usually Blackpool because one of my brothers lives there, & Cleethorpes as I went every year with the Crookes club for the day trip as a youngun, are not a patch on what I see today.

The beaches are sandy, the ocean is a bluey green & the tide doesn't go out more than 30 yards,I thought to myself how lucky I really am to be in this position & sometimes have to pinch myself, thinking that I still may be dreaming.

After dinner this evening, we watched a BBC programme called Grumpy Old Holidays, it was just what I was thinking about earlier in the day, I've heard that a lot of English people go overseas these days for their holidays, where do you go for your holidays ? are there still people that go to Blackpool, Filey, etc, camping or with the caravan or the old boarding house places ?

First of all, I hope your nuts drop off. :hihi:

Secondly, I don't own a passport so will never go abroad for a holiday. Love the Derbyshire Dales and the Yorkshire Coast areas so have no need to go anywhere else. As for the weather, I hate it when it's hot.:)

Archived