Mama's & Papa's - Bradfield Road - now closed

BoroughGal

Is there anyone that's had a good experience?

Is it where the council offices used to be ??? Always looks empty to me.It says on the window "No credit cards accepted" So thats no good, as lots of people pay by credit card. The windows are glazed over,so you cant see inside.If they only put the menu, right on the front window,we could see what theve got & how much. Dont think I will bother now after what BG said.

I drove past the other day and noticed cafe was spelled caffe and it says mainia in the window shouldnt it be mania and i thought well if they dont put too much attention on the signage they cant be too bothered about the food. I think as a whole hillsborough is going downhill .......fast!

Anyone been to this new "restaurant" yet??

Went the other night, and I have to say, it's very disappointing.

Some of the meals were up to £18 without side orders, (upto £6 for a starter) - but on average £10 (not over the top, I hear you cry, but read on, and remember, it's only Hillsborough).

There are no soft furnishings in there whatsoever, making it sound really hollow and without atmosphere, no curtains, no table cloths, no salt and pepper on the tables! It's just really basic pine tables and chairs (ricketty too) - but not in a contemporary minimalist way. They never brought me a steak knife for my food, and using a normal knife in tandem with a rickety table was a nightmare.

The food was nice, I have to say, and none of the things were worth mentioning, they're more observations than anything else. I just think it's a shame that a big premises like that could have made more for itself than it has. I think it's destined to be closed within a year.

Anyone else been that'd care to comment?

I went on Friday night with my missus and to say we were disappointed is an understatement.

We too sat at a rickety table - so much so that I almost felt sea-sick by the end of the meal.

We shared a garlic bread to start with (which looked and tasted like a cross between a burnt pancake and a naan bread).

Our main courses in fairness were not too bad, but the fact that there was no table cloth, no curtains, no ambience or atmosphere (in fact all the lights were on - allowing you see just how basic it is) made it a most forgettable night out.

Hillsborough is crying out for a proper wine bar/cafe bar - Mama's and Papa's is at best a school canteen, and unless improvements are quickly made, will join the many other boarded up properties near Hillsborough Corner.

:mad:

I went on Friday night with my missus and to say we were disappointed is an understatement.

We too sat at a rickety table - so much so that I almost felt sea-sick by the end of the meal.

We shared a garlic bread to start with (which looked and tasted like a cross between a burnt pancake and a naan bread).

Our main courses in fairness were not too bad, but the fact that there was no table cloth, no curtains, no ambience or atmosphere (in fact all the lights were on - allowing you see just how basic it is) made it a most forgettable night out.

Hillsborough is crying out for a proper wine bar/cafe bar - Mama's and Papa's is at best a school canteen, and unless improvements are quickly made, will join the many other boarded up properties near Hillsborough Corner.

:mad:

Glad to know it wasn't just me, sorry you had a poor night out though!

Maybe someone opened it just for the sake of getting the drinks license and haven't bothered investing much or trying very hard, with a view to flogging it very soon for a vast profit for another Ball/Legends type bar.

I'd considered this. I think you might be right, but I don't think it'll last. It's a shame because, with the size, it could have been really nice.

I went there the other day with my girlfriend and quite liked the food. Its nothing special but i cant really complain as we only paid for the £4.25 Buffet and had plenty to eat.

Yeah, I agree, I think it would do far better with the cheaper day time prices, being a cafe - it feels like a cafe. Would you be happy going there at night for a (far more) expensive meal though? Just out of interest?

I agree the food is quite nice though.

Archived