Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

However, Anyone researching smoking the ban on the continent, Will find that smoking is not banned outright. there are still bars that have smoking area's in the bar itself. There are even cafe's where smoke rooms are provided.

This is true, I went in a couple of them in Brugge, it was very civilised, people had a choice, go into the smoking room or don't.

I could never say that smoking is good for anyone. However, I know many people that have smoked heavy all their lives, They are pensioners now. I know of at least hree guys in their 80's that smoke cigars. How come they are not dead. However, Anyone researching smoking the ban on the continent, Will find that smoking is not banned outright. there are still bars that have smoking area's in the bar itself. There are even cafe's where smoke rooms are provided. I agree with some of the legislation., However, It is badly done, Rushed through without much thought. It is easy to cater for smokers and also the Politically Correct brigade. I just wish the same attention was given to preventing crime on our streets. Or to ridding ourselves of dysfunctional families. Maybe we could look more into the reasons why many people smoke.

For every smoker in their 80's not affected by cancer/heart or lung disease, there ARE tens of thousand who have died due to their own smoking. Your arguement is flawed in the extreme and this is the arguement used by the ill informed and uneducated!! Similiar to your comment about underage service personnel being shot at in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Any smoking area in a public place means that staff will still be exposed to hazardous and harmful chemicals. In the next ten years smoking will be banned from the majority of places and it is well over due. Smoking is a public health problem that requires action by both govertnment and public alike.

For every smoker in their 80's not affected by cancer/heart or lung disease, there ARE tens of thousand who have died due to their smoking.

Realy, I'm suprised there any non-smokers left alive in the UK if one smoker will kill tens of thousands of them.

Realy, I'm suprised there any non-smokers left alive in the UK if one smoker will kill tens of thousands of them.

I was referring to tens of thousand of smokers who have died from heart and lung disease as well as related cancers

• 5 weeks later...
It's sod all to do with a police state, It's about respect for others, summat smokers know nowt about.

I'm sorry but that is quite a sweeping statement.

I think you might mean SOME smokers know nothing about.

For every smoker in their 80's not affected by cancer/heart or lung disease, there ARE tens of thousand who have died due to their own smoking.

"Where did you get that stat? Where did you get that stat?" *

That's rubbish! Even the head of ASH would tell you that is wrong! The figure for smokers who die of 'smoking related diseases' is about one in three, so to extrapolate a figure saying one in tens of thousands does not die of a smoking related disease is just mathematically impossible.

*To the tune of "Where did you get that hat?"

Archived