Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Brilliant in the pubs that haven't closed down because of it! Forget the recession, it has been no worse than the 80s and pubs weren't closing all over the place then.

Nothing to do with the rising tax on beer and the super-cheap alcohol in supermarkets then?

smoker's caught lighting up in banned areas which include all pubs, restaurants, private clubs and most workplaces will recieve a £50 spot fine :thumbsup: business owner's and autorities who do not enforce the ban will be fined £2,500 :thumbsup: & Spot fines of £200 will be introduced for failing to display no-smoking signs. If the case goes to court, the penalty could rise to £1,000 the only place you are allowed to smoke are private homes, care homes, hospitals, prisons and hotel bedrooms.

why allow smoking in hospitals when they are compaining about the cost???

Smoking ban, hell why not indeed, the Govt seem to want to regulate everything else we do so why not smoking, hidden behind the old "Health concerns" vibe and "Other people should have the choice not to stink of smoke or passively smoke etc"

Fantastic divide and conquer tactics...ie split the people and they will fight it out between themselves.

Personally this is about choice...I fully support a non smokers right/choice/decision to not be around those of us who do smoke, but also.......Those of us who make a rational choice to smoke ourself frikkin silly, stink to high heaven and all the other negative stuff about smoking SHOULD HAVE THE CHOICE TO DO THIS!!

God Bless New Labour eh, subtely introducing yet more forms of social control, and God Bless the individuals who support this...(Until THEIR liberties are threatened then they will soon be up in arms!)

New Govt Policy alert......... Middle-class professionals are being told they now cannot drink more than 2 glasses of red wine per individual per night as it may affect their health and lead to a need for treatment and its not fair that WE in society should have to pay for this treatment. :D

You need to keep up. The whole of the city centre was made an alcohol exclusion zone 5 years ago. Police have the power to confiscate cans and bottles whether opened or not and penalties of up to £500 can be imposed.

How many off-licences closed down after that became law?

Personally this is about choice...I fully support a non smokers right/choice/decision to not be around those of us who do smoke, but also.......Those of us who make a rational choice to smoke ourself frikkin silly, stink to high heaven and all the other negative stuff about smoking SHOULD HAVE THE CHOICE TO DO THIS!!

What you're saying here is that your right to smoke should be more important than someone else's right to not have your smoke blown in their face.

A fairly selfish attitude.

No body has taken away your choice with regards to smoking, they've simply made it a choice that you have to exercise in private or outside.

What you're saying here is that your right to smoke should be more important than someone else's right to not have your smoke blown in their face.

A fairly selfish attitude.

No body has taken away your choice with regards to smoking, they've simply made it a choice that you have to exercise in private or outside.

Woah, Woah, Woah, Woah, cool your heels there Cyclone. How on earth did you end up interpreting what I said like that??? I at no point said or beleive that us smokers would be blowing smoke in non smokers faces and how you ended up with that result is frankly beyond me.

I will try and outline my point again so I dont get called selfish.........

People dont want to smoke right...as I said I have no issue with this at all, however, those of us who do want to smoke should be given the choice to do this, so logically it follows that there should be some facilities for smokers other than "get outside".

I honestly think that some pubs, clubs etc should cater for us smokers, then people have the choice as to wether they go to a smoke free place or not.

You need to keep up. The whole of the city centre was made an alcohol exclusion zone 5 years ago.
I've kept up :thumbsup: You may want to find out what the zone actually means though in order to understand the argument - alcohol isn't banned. But a penalty might be issued if, when asked to stop/surrender the alcohol, the drinker doesn't. Might be a good thing for smoking too?

No that doesn't logically follow at all.

You already have the right to smoke, just not where it will affect anyone else. If 'smoking' bars were created then you'd be able to use both types of bar, whereas as someone who doesn't like smoke I wouldn't.

That said, if they'd made it part of the license and allowed councils to keep a balance of smoking and non smoking venues that would have suited me, but since they didn't the current situation also suits.

Archived