Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

Lol, of course in this poll 72% welcomed the ban, I'd hardly say is a representative number of people nationally, would you? ie 266 people in the sample?

The BBC poll that you reference used a sample of 1,200 people, again, hardly representative of a population of approximately 60,000,000, although I do admit that it shows an association. However, the article also goes on to end on a sensible quote....

But Simon Clark, director of Forest, said the figures masked the fact that people supported some restrictions but not an outright ban.

"Many people are ignorant of how draconian the legislation is - a great many people still think smoking will be allowed in pubs that don't serve food or private members clubs.

"What people really want is a choice."

Lastly, you are right when you say that not many people give it a second thought. Sadly this is often the case when a minority feel that their choice has been removed, the majority tend not to "give it a second thought"

this is true! us smokers didnt have the chance to vote as we had sneaked off round the back of the building under the bus shelter for a ciggy. by the time we got back, voting was over!

people will want smokers kept under surveilance next, to ensure they dont come within a hundered yards and end up facing a fine!!

this is true! us smokers didnt have the chance to vote as we had sneaked off round the back of the building under the bus shelter for a ciggy. by the time we got back, voting was over!

people will want smokers kept under surveilance next, to ensure they dont come within a hundered yards and end up facing a fine!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!

How dare you miss zee voting, you vill be shot for ziz!!

"Many people are ignorant of how draconian the legislation is - a great many people still think smoking will be allowed in pubs that don't serve food or private members clubs.

What kind of people would believe this. Those that have been living in a cave for several years maybe. :loopy:

Maybe someone who CHOOSES to, say for example a smoker, or even a non smoker who doesnt object to being in that environment :huh:

You can't not offer a job to someone because they expect reasonable health and safety rules to apply, which would be the only option you are providing if staff would have no protection from the smokey atmosphere. It wouldn't be allowed with fumes in a factory, why should it be allowed in a pub?

What kind of people would believe this. Those that have been living in a cave for several years maybe. :loopy:

EH??? Its a quote from 2007 thats why, a reference that Snailyboy used to try to use statistics to evidence his argument.

You can't not offer a job to someone because they expect reasonable health and safety rules to apply, which would be the only option you are providing if staff would have no protection from the smokey atmosphere. It wouldn't be allowed with fumes in a factory, why should it be allowed in a pub?

Again, you have taken what I have said and reached some interpretation of it that is beyond me? At no point did I say that you should not offer the job to a non smoker!

Thats asumming that a high enough number of non smokers would object though isnt it. I know of a lot of non-smokers who dont object at all to being in smokey environments, they just choose not to smoke first hand.

And ultimately, a non smoker who did object could maybe apply for a job in a non smoking pub (If govt would be kind enough to cater for smokers and non smokers), or as I said in my earlier post, if we do have this hypothetical smoking pub should EVERYONE then stop smoking in it so 1 person can have a job?:loopy::loopy:

Yeah good one

These recent postings are giving me deja vu from three years ago.

As I've stated before the vast majority of the country appear to be very comfortable with the ban, customers, employees, maybe people who have found it a reason to give up smoking.

Let's face it, there's hardly been an uprising in the streets. No placards being waved outside Parliament. Not even a 'Let's smoke more for a day, that'll show em' campaign.

It's probably the case there has been more active campaigning against the ban on hunting with hounds, strangely enough another piece of legislation that the vast majority of the country don't give a second thought.

These recent postings are giving me deja vu from three years ago.

As I've stated before the vast majority of the country appear to be very comfortable with the ban, customers, employees, maybe people who have found it a reason to give up smoking.

Let's face it, there's hardly been an uprising in the streets. No placards being waved outside Parliament. Not even a 'Let's smoke more for a day, that'll show em' campaign.

It's probably the case there has been more active campaigning against the ban on hunting with hounds, strangely enough another piece of legislation that the vast majority of the country don't give a second thought.

I fully agree, there is a large proportion of people who are not bothered by it in the slightest and I fully agree that if it has given some people the push to stop smoking then thats a good thing. However, fact still remains...those of us who choose to smoke and want to do it in a social manner have no choice about doing this. In my opinion thats not fair.

Some people reckon smoking is only for idiots.

Fair point, and some people are right to think that, then again some people reckon that capitalism is for idiots as well but that doesnt stop us.

Archived