Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

A bit harsh... I agree with the original submitter. And no, I'm not a stinky mess. If I put on a clean pair of jeans and a clean jumper or something for a night out, does that make them dirty the next day? Are jeans dirty after 4 hours of wear in your opinion then?

Jeans are not dirty after 4 hours of wear but to wear the same shirt/t-shirt the next day is a bit minging.

I am a smoker who has given up several times in the past. One effect of giving up is that your sense of smell improves dramatically. As a regular user of public transport it becomes noticeable when you are not smoking how many people are really minging but probably think they're not because they are non-smokers.

I don't think it's because they're non-smokers. Actually, it never occurred to me that smoking would have anything to do with it. If anything, smokers smell worse because they can no longer smell the smoke! I learned this when my teenage brother started smoking and thought nobody knew because he couldn't smell anything... But yeah, smelly people on buses really annoy me.

Jeans are not dirty after 4 hours of wear but to wear the same shirt/t-shirt the next day is a bit minging.

How about the same jumper or jacket? There are lots of clothes people wear that don't need washing after a few hours wear but which stink after 30 minutes in a pub with smokers puffing away.

I don't think it's because they're non-smokers. Actually, it never occurred to me that smoking would have anything to do with it. If anything, smokers smell worse because they can no longer smell the smoke! I learned this when my teenage brother started smoking and thought nobody knew because he couldn't smell anything... But yeah, smelly people on buses really annoy me.

I agree that if someone smokes then you can smell it from them, especially after they have just had a cigarette.

I wasn't implying that non-smokers smell as such but some of them do and in the periods when I have been off the cigarettes it turns my stomach sometimes when I am on the bus.

How about the same jumper or jacket? There are lots of clothes people wear that don't need washing after a few hours wear but which stink after 30 minutes in a pub with smokers puffing away.

I think the effects of passive smoking (on people's clothes) are grossly exagerrated.

When I have been off the fags I have been in pubs and have noticed no real difference in how my clothes smell. However, the pub is the one place where my resolve would weaken and if I had even one cigarette, I would notice it on my clothes the next day.

I wasn't implying that non-smokers smell as such but some of them do and in the periods when I have been off the cigarettes it turns my stomach sometimes when I am on the bus.

I think I probably work with most of them :)

When I have been off the fags I have been in pubs and have noticed no real difference in how my clothes smell.

Nope, sorry, have to disagree with you there - cig smoke works its way into everything. Obviously it depends how many smokers are in the pub and how close they are to you. And people smoking while I'm eating really winds me up, I'm sorry but I think that's incredibly insensitive.

I think the effects of passive smoking (on people's clothes) are grossly exagerrated.

When I have been off the fags I have been in pubs and have noticed no real difference in how my clothes smell.

I disagree, very often when I've been DJing and get home my girlfriend mentions that I smell of smoke & that's just the lingering smell on my skin, not my clothes which I always have to wash because they reek of smoke. Neither of us have ever smoked so maybe we're just less desensitised than you.

However, the pub is the one place where my resolve would weaken and if I had even one cigarette, I would notice it on my clothes the next day.

This is another reason why the ban will be such a good thing, take the cigarettes out of pubs and you've made what was one of the toughest places for nicotine addicts trying to give up safe for them.

Passive smoking is an invention to get more money out of insurance companies when loved ones die due to the fumes in the air, all around us and above us.
Breathing in smoke inhaled through a filter is bad for you. No doubts there at all. So why is the unfiltered smoke off the end of a cigarette, which anybody near a smoker is forced to inhale, suddenly not harmful?

All this thread has shown is how stupid some people can be when trying to justify their addiction. Smokers are just junkies and unlike other addicts they actually make other people join in with their habit.

As for smokers right, grow up. Smokers have as much right to smoke as I have have to punch smokers in the face, as I find that very stress relieving.

Archived