Smoking ban for public places - Opinions

Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the smoking ban?

• Yes, I will welcome it
    • No, I am dreading it
    • Don't know/care

I think you are a bit confused. This thread started by someone claiming that their world would come to an end because clubs will have to become smoking free and predicting doom and gloom for the drinks industry, and most people disagree, even a large proportion of smokers (maybe 50% of them?) it seems are looking forward to this change.

I have never seen anyone on sheffield forum berating people who confess to be addicted to smoking.

only those who insist on doing it in places where they inconvenience the 70% of the population which doesn't smoke.

Actually I think it's you thats confused, the thread started by the op asking for people to sign a petition in support of a smoking area in clubs.

The only problem the authorities are worried about, is the amount of people drunk standing on the streets smoking, outside of pubs and clubs.

Please don't open a smoking room just to make money!!!

Find other valuable reasons!!

I'm Miss Tracey, a none smoker, never have been, and never will be because i choose not to be!! However I do own Club Shhhh and I would like to make a safe comfortable place for all my smoking guest. i am aiming to obtian a safe legal area before the enforcement law authority comes in to place on 1st July 2007.All I wish to tell you at the moment is I'm on the tracks with the job and when I do a job I do it well. Hence, we will have a safe warm smoking area and a safe warm none smoking area, please feel free to come down to Club Shhhh on the wicker, next event is a hard house night on 10.2.07 cost £5.00 for 12 hours of f---ing hard house, open 8am till 12 mindight pre bar and 12midnight-12noon , all welcome

kind regards Miss Teece

err don't forget about ya club next door! Fuzzy'D????

The only problem the authorities are worried about, is the amount of people drunk standing on the streets smoking, outside of pubs and clubs.

QUOTE]

sounds like a street party to me, maybe us smokers should start having street parties, anybody welcome

"Most of the people who go to nightclubs smoke" says Ang..lets get this straight in my mind, less than 25% of the people smoke..so me thinks this statement is at least inaccurate!.

I go home to Scotland often, and it is a delight to go to pubs etc clean air. People should also look at the health benefits to staff working in these pubs etc since the introduction of the smoking ban.

Just to make things clear, les than 25% of the adult population smoke. And do not get me started on smoking parents and their asthmatic kids. "little Jonnys asthma is bad again" and little Johnny smells of his parents smoke.

QUOTE]

sounds like a street party to me, maybe us smokers should start having street parties, anybody welcome

I believe in Ireland this has led to an activity called 'smirting', a cross between smoking and flirting, as the ban gives the crowd outside a feeling of common cause and social ritual. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6416537,00.html

So now the government are going to fine people for smoking a substance they have paid substantial amounts of tax on.

I bet there will still be machines in pubs serving expensive fags though.

Surely the £30million would be spent on officers to walk the beat or builders to build a prison to persecute (rehabilitate/reward) real criminals.

Every other day we hear of released murderer's and paedophiles reoffending and they are going to spend money on such a petty thing in order to generate more. The best thing about it is the amount of "smoking related illness's" will continue to increase until fossil fuels run out

I for one hope these undercover officers get glassed.

No, they're being fined for smoking where they shouldn't be smoking - there's a difference.

Just as there are by-laws agaisnt drinking alcohol in the streets in many areas, there are now the news laws on smoking coming in.

The fact that you hope for someone to get 'glassed' for doing their jobs is a deplorable attitude to take.

If smokers could be trusted to take their filth outside then no enforcement would be necessary.

But they can't. So if a law is going to be passed (which it has been) then you have to make some enforcement effort, otherwise it's meaningless.

I hope it's you doing the glassing, and that you subsequently do 5 years for assaulting an officer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6416537,00.htmlI for one hope these undercover officers get glassed.

Environmental health officers already visit pubs and clubs to check on health regulations - and you wish them a face full of broken glass! :nono:

Might I enquire what type of impaired development do you suffer from?

Environmental health officers already visit pubs and clubs to check on health regulations - and you wish them a face full of broken glass! :nono:

Might I enquire what type of impaired development do you suffer from?

none, enviromental health officers should be checking cleanliness not whether or not someone is enjoying a smoke.

Archived